Will Yamaha raise the bar in 2010?

42 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted September 21, 2008 - 10:06 AM

I sure hope so. I am and always have been a Yamaha guy. I really like my 08 YZ and plan on keeping it till 2010. I rode a new 09 CRF 450 yesterday and must say that I was impressed. I only have a couple of laps opinion on a realitivley smooth track but the bike feels very light and easy to ride. What I am hoping for is that Yamaha will look at what the competition has done and raise the bar even higher for 2010. I can imagine Yamaha making a real killer 450 that is as light as the new CRF and turns great too.
What do you all think?
I can hardly wait!

• YZERIK

Posted September 21, 2008 - 12:47 PM

it is coming...i can feel it

• OldSkool

Posted September 21, 2008 - 12:49 PM

It's all about the rider. Bikes have been turning great for a long time.

• Holeshot12

Posted September 21, 2008 - 01:24 PM

There is no doubt there bike will be all new for 2010. They teased you with the swing arm. I was told by my dealer that sales the 4 major brands that 2010 all bikes will be EFI including the 250's.

• DMC707

Posted September 21, 2008 - 01:33 PM

. I can imagine Yamaha making a real killer 450 that is as light as the new CRF and turns great too.
What do you all think?
I can hardly wait!

They are pretty close in weight now i thought. Part of the Yamaha appeal to me is their bomb proof stability (whoops, sloppy jump faces, mid air corrections, great suspenders) . The YZ also turns better than i can, they may lose that if they try to compete with Suzi and Honda in the corner carving market.

I think the YZ is already the ultimate bike for a vet rider due to the qualities i listed above, plus the smooth power delivery. FI will make it sweeter, but i'm gonna wait till 2011 to make sure there are no "issues"

• ZMoney520

Posted September 21, 2008 - 05:37 PM

It only makes sense the 2010 will be full of big changes on the Yama. I read an article on one of the motocross sites and they were talking to Doug Dubach about the history of the 4 stroke and his involvment. He said that all bikes, and I believe he was talking about 450's, would be EFI in 2010. Since all are EFI now except Yamaha and he is the test guy for Yamaha, it sounds like a sure bet for next year. It would also be dumb on their part to let themsleves get behind on technology with everyone else. Hopefully they are just sitting back to see what everyone else does so they can one up them. I just got my 2009 and I already can't wait to see what the 2010 is going to be like.

• rdefonce

Posted September 22, 2008 - 08:46 AM

It only makes sense the 2010 will be full of big changes on the Yama. I read an article on one of the motocross sites and they were talking to Doug Dubach about the history of the 4 stroke and his involvment. He said that all bikes, and I believe he was talking about 450's, would be EFI in 2010. Since all are EFI now except Yamaha and he is the test guy for Yamaha, it sounds like a sure bet for next year. It would also be dumb on their part to let themsleves get behind on technology with everyone else. Hopefully they are just sitting back to see what everyone else does so they can one up them. I just got my 2009 and I already can't wait to see what the 2010 is going to be like.

FINALLY all manufacturers are going EFI!
I've been waiting for that a long time, and when Yamaha does, that's when I'm buying. It's gonna be nice going to Colorado, then back down to my alt, No Rejetting Rqd.:excuseme:

. . . not even to mention the winter/summer jetting changes that won't have to be done anymore.

• YZERIK

Posted September 22, 2008 - 09:27 AM

That will be very nice indeed!

• rickallen124

Posted September 22, 2008 - 10:12 AM

I believe that the 2010 YZ450 will have a new chassis and FI. The information I've recieved leads me to believe that there may even be some carbon fiber/composite pieces. Most likely a cf subframe. Cost will be a determining factor but I'm certain that a new frame, and frame geometry along with EFI will be on the 2010. New motor? Possibly. Dlc coated forks is also a very good possibilty

• motomanmike26

Posted September 22, 2008 - 11:50 AM

If all the other manufactures have, then Yamaha has too...look for a completely new YZ450 for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cody592

Posted September 22, 2008 - 05:48 PM

There is no doubt there bike will be all new for 2010. They teased you with the swing arm. I was told by my dealer that sales the 4 major brands that 2010 all bikes will be EFI including the 250's.

all the 250's will be efi by '10?! I'm gonna start saving :excuseme: :lol:

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 22, 2008 - 07:36 PM

yea i sure hope so its gonna be sweet just plug it into a lab top like my truck and tune away. i hate messing witht the carb. and I LOVE YAMAHA!!!!!

• thatkid46

Posted September 23, 2008 - 05:45 PM

it only makes sense it will be an all new bike in 2010, they sat on pretty much the same bike for 2009 except for the swingarm. yamaha isnt the kind of company to just throw something out there and have something immediately go wrong with it. i doubt you'll see the first EFI yzf cracking center cases lol.

• aggiemoto99

Posted September 23, 2008 - 07:31 PM

While I don't think they should do it for reliability, I fully expect the 250f to be a 4 valve motor.

I think its sad that efi is coming....the prices are absolutely skyrocketing....and really....a carb isn't that bad, but I do have no doubt efi eliminates the problem four strokes have always been stuck with, their bog.

Let's hope they dont change too much....they have a great bike now, it may not wow you like the honda or kawi do in the looks department, or be the best in any one category for performance, but they are damn good overall.

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 23, 2008 - 10:08 PM

yea they need to be here now the more and more i see the hondas and i get to ride one this weekend. it makes me want one. damnit but ill wait i want to see whats gonna happen. i do like how honda went with a 50 mm throttle body lots of air. lol

• sandrappy

Posted September 24, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I would also bet that 2010 model yz will have efi. I'm not sure if you guys know this or not but yamaha released a new version of the yfz 450 quad this year. It called the yfz450r and has an aluminum frame, better suspension, and efi. Just my guess but that will be the engine they put in the bikes.

• Holeshot12

Posted September 24, 2008 - 12:21 PM

I would also bet that 2010 model yz will have efi. I'm not sure if you guys know this or not but yamaha released a new version of the yfz 450 quad this year. It called the yfz450r and has an aluminum frame, better suspension, and efi. Just my guess but that will be the engine they put in the bikes.

I think you are on to something! The quad will be the testing grounds for the EFI.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted September 24, 2008 - 01:24 PM

Good, I'll need a new bike in 2011 anyway!!!!! The '11 model will have all the bugs (if any) worked out from the '10.:excuseme:

• ProjectDIRT

Posted September 25, 2008 - 08:07 AM

yea i saw they quad. but on the quad there only using a 42 mm throttle body. hondas got a 50mm. i wonder if theyll do anything with that. i bet thats why honda went with a long head tube to make up for bottom end. but i like the 50mm its give the bike a ton of air.

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2008 - 08:56 AM

The quad engine is also in a much milder state of tune than the YZ, as it always has been, thus the smaller throttle bore. The cam profile simply isn't aggressive enough to benefit from a bore as large as 50mm.

One thing to consider, too, is that with EFI the discharge of fuel is not dependent on the air velocity in the throttle body, as it is with a carb. Since the fuel delivery is under the complete control of the ECM, it can be made to compensate for almost any situation, even fairly severe reversions at low speeds, which would be extremely difficult to manage with a carb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.