2001 Yz426

34 replies to this topic
  • Yz426F__Ride

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:51 AM

i just recently bought this bike and would like some ideas for quick upgrades...best exhaust system..ect...

• WB450

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Lots of good ideas here. Congrats on your new bike!

http://www.thumperta...daysprune=&f=21

• Slackkinhard

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:57 AM

throw that bike away upgrade to a 450f it will change you life

That's the best you can do with your first post? :excuseme: Boo! I've met some 426 riders that I'm sure could spank most.

OP, Welcome! The 426 is a bit outdated, and kinda heavy in comparison to newer technology...but that said, is still years ahead of what I rode as a kid. How big are you? What kinda riding do you do?

• 941MXVET

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I had one of those bikes, great bike. IMO, before you throw money into upgrades, go through the machine and be sure it's sound. The things I'd check would be:

1) have fork and shock serviced at a respected suspension shop
2) inspect bearings, particularly linkage, and wheel bearings
3) inspect breaks, bleed fluid
4) inspect drive train, I'd get a new chain\sproket kit to establish a baseline
5) dose it start easy? if not valves and piston may be in the near future

The 2001 YZ426 is a very capable bike you probably don't need to upgrade much.

• dmoney1074

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:59 AM

[quote name='jomacdon']throw that bike away upgrade to a 450f it will change you life[/QUOTE

Disregard the "ONE POST WONDER" above.... the 426 is a great bike!!!

I think its more important to get your jetting spot on than any pipe, but the fmf q2 with a powerbomb header gave my 426 a whole different feel. It will give you a lot more over-rev and mid-top end.

I HIGHLY recommend the JD jet kit.... single best mod i ever did to my 426.

• Yz426F__Ride

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:02 AM

yes..the bike was serviced a lot and is in really good condition. i am 6ft and weigh about 195. its my first bike and im still getting use to it. rode many 2 strokes and didnt like them so i decided to go with a fourstroke.

• Yz426F__Ride

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:03 AM

and thanks for telling me to get the JD jet kit i will look into that first unless others tell me otherwise

• jomacdon

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:07 AM

426's are junk they are very unreliable and are do not even compare with the 450's throw that bike out before your wallets drys out

• 941MXVET

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:13 AM

My personal opinion on upgrades, once the machine is proven sound as you stated is:

1) protect the bike, skid plates, rad braces etc.
2) fresh tires which are appropriate for you terrain
3) keep a few dollars handy for maintaince, air filters, oil and such
4) probably should be first, but do you have all your protective gear? after all you can't enjoy your new bike when your laid up hurt

Have fun dude! From what I've seen, often newer riders get worked up trying to set up their bikes before they take care of the necessities.

• 941MXVET

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:15 AM

and thanks for telling me to get the JD jet kit i will look into that first unless others tell me otherwise

And yes, jetting is very important!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slackkinhard

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:15 AM

426's are junk they are very unreliable and are do not even compare with the 450's throw that bike out before your wallets drys out

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, this has not been my experience. Can you enlighten us with yours? Hopin ya got some substance behind that statement. :excuseme:

• Yz426F__Ride

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:20 AM

well i ride with two yz450s, kx250, and a rmz250 and they throw a lot of rocks up and i dont have a chest protector but am def gunna buy one soon. mostly the 450s throw up the rocks no problem with the other two

• jomacdon

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:20 AM

threw to much money into it switched over to the 450f the diff is like night and day and more importantly been trouble free for 2 years

• 941MXVET

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:22 AM

well i ride with two yz450s, kx250, and a rmz250 and they throw a lot of rocks up and i dont have a chest protector but am def gunna buy one soon. mostly the 450s throw up the rocks no problem with the other two

Good idea on the chest pro. maybe some hand guards also! Try to ignore the static.

• powellk

Posted September 19, 2008 - 07:43 AM

I had one of those bikes, great bike. IMO, before you throw money into upgrades, go through the machine and be sure it's sound. The things I'd check would be:

1) have fork and shock serviced at a respected suspension shop
2) inspect bearings, particularly linkage, and wheel bearings
3) inspect breaks, bleed fluid
4) inspect drive train, I'd get a new chain\sproket kit to establish a baseline
5) dose it start easy? if not valves and piston may be in the near future

The 2001 YZ426 is a very capable bike you probably don't need to upgrade much.

+1. You dont need the latest model bike to have fun. If you were racing newer is better but to go play ride for fun it does not matter. More important than modifications is having all the OEM parts in good working order like listed above. Then make the bike fit your body with bars, grips, seat to feel comfortable both sitting and standing. Just having fresh suspension fluids and seals and clean, lubed suspension linkgage makes a big difference. Fresh tires, chain and sprockets and a fresh muffler packing is more important for good power then aftermarket pipes. Most riders are not good enough use all the power all the time that these bikes make stock.

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2008 - 08:17 AM

threw to much money into it switched over to the 450f the diff is like night and day and more importantly been trouble free for 2 years

So, because you had ONE that you had trouble with, they're all bad? Interesting.

I think if you ran a poll of everyone who owns, has owned, or knows of a 426 well enough to speak to its reliability, you would find yourself in an extremely small minority. There are few pieces of machinery ever made that are more reliable than a YZ426.

Their one true "weakness" seems to be that if the rider has the habit of not shifting crisply, they will wear the locking lugs on the sides of the gears to the point that they begin skipping out/into gear under a load. Other than that, they are nearly indestructible.

Sorry, you're going to be going against the grain on that one.

• xr-jorger

Posted September 19, 2008 - 01:36 PM

I had an xr600r that was (prob still is) bullet proof. With that said the 426 is every bit as reliable as my old xr. Your experience doesnt mean they are a money pit. You prob didnt take care of it anyway......

• jomacdon

Posted September 19, 2008 - 08:16 PM

haha your funny

• 02WR426Cali

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Yeah you're totally in the minority here! My 426 has never had any problems and still has the stock piston and never needed a valve adjustment. It probably has 150+ hours on it just guessing, maybe more. Nothing has ever worn out except tires obviously, I just replace things for performance. If someone made a poll asking about 426 reliability I bet there would be less than a handful that agree with you!

• curthall11

Posted September 20, 2008 - 12:42 PM

I have a 2000 426 and IMO it is bullet proof. I replaced the piston finally and then put an auto decomp. cam in it. I have never had any problems with my bike. Just keep up on the maintenance and I think it will run forever.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.