Rebuild Help

2 replies to this topic
  • redsoxfever

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:24 PM

Well i'm glad my bike didn't sell........had new crank, piston , valves etc and took it for a ride as i was contemplating selling for plated bike and she's done. It's an 04 yz450f. My dilema now is do i use as a parts bike for possibly another yz between 03-05, not sure if some parts would work as spares for a WR or buy a new crate engine which i can't find?? Need to make a decision soon as mechanic has bike apart. So far, case assembly, warped crank, new piston, cylinder etc (cams, valves checkout okay). I'm quite nervous as i had a few hours on bike before it grenaded last year and now am going to have to dump more in. Last year appx 3 grand, re did fork seals etc this year, 1 hour ride now looking at 2500. Need some good advice here.........this bike has been a nightmare. Looking back at the mechanic last year (haven't used since he was an idiot - me as well for buying into his theories) there was a chunk missing out of the bottom of the cylinder but he said not to waste the money as the rings wouldn't come near it no compression lost. In retrospect i'm sure that caused piston instability and caused thousands in damage - lesson learned. Please help! I'd be buying a bike no more than 3500 and aim worried about buying someone elses junk rather than just have this engine completely redone or crate motor if that works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kylwk1500

Posted September 19, 2008 - 08:07 AM

ya his advise on the piston is no good. You have to be carefull with the guts on the four stroke motors. If its done right they run great, otherwise things can happen like what did with yours. Good luck. If you really like the set up on your bike, here is an option i took. I bought another bike with low hours and a great motor. Then parted out the rest, and ended up making some money on top. Good luck, and keep us up to date.

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Depends on where the chunk was missing from. At the sides, it's not important as long as the rings don't cross it. Front or rear is another matter, since the sirt could overlap it if it was large enough, and slipper pistons do not have a surplus of skirt contact to work with.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.