2006 kx 450f w/4 speed tranny TOP SPEED?

19 replies to this topic
  • 2006kx450f

Posted September 18, 2008 - 07:49 PM

hey guys, i saw a website with the top speed of all the 2006 450's apparantly it goes
kx 450
89 mph

CRF 450
87 mph

rmz 450
79 mph

ktm 450
81 mph

yz 450
84 mph

this sound right? apparantly the kx has a wide ratio tranny similar to the wr's :excuseme:

• CRFsean

Posted September 18, 2008 - 07:53 PM

I always wondered what the top speed on my bike was haha. thanks

• 2006kx450f

Posted September 18, 2008 - 09:10 PM

me too =) no problem though

• Chillwabbitt

Posted September 18, 2008 - 11:02 PM

hey guys, i saw a website with the top speed of all the 2006 450's apparantly it goes
kx 450
89 mph

CRF 450
87 mph

rmz 450
79 mph

ktm 450
81 mph

yz 450
84 mph

this sound right? apparantly the kx has a wide ratio tranny similar to the wr's :excuseme:

WOW 89mph, thats around 143kph, I have an 06 geared with 13/47 combo and have taken it to 132kph around 82mph.

That must have been a really long run with really small rear sproket with a 14 on the front.

I'm not puting them down I'm sure it can be done, just not in stock form, cause when I'm tapped out that bike is screaming in the over rev line.

• thewatt

Posted September 18, 2008 - 11:19 PM

i have an 06 kawasaki with stock gearing. on pavement it hit 72 mph. i might have been able to squeeze a bit more but didn't want to chance it. it seemed revvvved out

• D-K

Posted September 19, 2008 - 03:07 AM

I have a 250, and fifth gear is probably brand new in it! I have only shifted in to fifth like 2 times.

I don´t have the guts to go top speed on a 450...

Neither on dirt or pavement... I´ve seen too much shit happening to people who ride outside of the track...

But hey, it´s cool to be able to say: -my bike tops out 90 m.p.h.! (just not when I´m on it):excuseme:

• mxkid1p

Posted September 19, 2008 - 01:09 PM

my 06 was radared at 89mph with 14/50 on a dirt road. I'm glad to have 5th for sure!

• stlavsa

Posted September 20, 2008 - 06:54 AM

theres no way in hell those top speeds are accurate with a completely stock bike.. meaning stock gearing.

• Markofthedesert

Posted September 20, 2008 - 08:15 AM

I have an 06 with stock 13/50 I think. Theres no way it goes 89 mph.

• 2006kx450f

Posted September 20, 2008 - 07:54 PM

**UPDATE**

ok ive got more info on this these bikes are all equipped with different pipes. ill list them,

kx 450, (powerbomb,4.1 titanium)

crf 450r (megabomb,4.1 titanium)

rmz 450 (dr.d titanium,carbon fiber)

ktm 450 (ti-4 GP system)

yz 450f (stock exhuast, 12 by 49 tooth sprockets)

all bikes were jetted right on, and they had a 2 mile strip to race. 'apparantly' the 4 speed with powerbomb header seemed to make a perfect combo with the kx? however they were disapointed with the suzukis and ktm's performance.

please dont say im full of bs, im not claiming this just copying it.

• stlavsa

Posted September 21, 2008 - 08:32 AM

you dont understand the bikes arent at all limited on speed by their power. its the gearing.

You could put nitrous on the bike if you wanted and double the horsepower and its still not going to make it have any higher of a topspeed.

Once you are at your rev limit in your top gear (this case 4th gear) thats all the faster your bike will go regardless of HP.

To change topspeed.. you have to gear the bike with taller gears... or get an 07 with 5 gears..

• 2006kx450f

Posted September 21, 2008 - 11:20 AM

i dont understand? i SAID IM NOT CLAIMING THIS JUST COPYING IT. i know exactly how it works. read my comment before you try to downtalk me.

• stlavsa

Posted September 22, 2008 - 05:08 PM

wait a second I wasnt talking down to you.. and you should read YOUR post again you are implying that the modifications they did had an effect on top speed when they do not.

What I was saying is that it would hit the same top speed regardless of mods. Since the kx has enough power to max out 4th gear bone stock.

• Markofthedesert

Posted September 24, 2008 - 09:08 AM

not that it matters, but are you sure mods wont affect top speed? I thought aftermarket pipes and stuff could make the engine rev higher and wouldnt that result in higher speed? Anyone?

• stlavsa

Posted September 24, 2008 - 02:01 PM

no you have a speed limiter in your CDI... Think about when you hit the rev limiter.. thats controlled electronically. So that controls ur rpms... u can get a cdi that raises that limit if u so choose. Pipes can help ur motor make more power up there but u need a cdi to allow u to rev higher.

Rev limit and gearing will dictate top speed as long as your motor has enough power to overcome the resistance.. and a kx 450 has wayyy more than enough power stock.

• 2006kx450f

Posted September 24, 2008 - 08:55 PM

ok now you said 'no you dont understand'. I understand perfectly, no pipes do not make your bike rev higher, they give the motor more hp (or tourque) depending on the pipe. 3 hp gain will get you going, 4-5 mph faster. im not trying to turn this into an arguement im just saying, ive seen the dyno for a kx 250f stock and with fmf setup, same gearing it got another 3mph out of the bike. YES the bike was on the rev limiter, No a pipe wont give you another 10 mph, thats gearing. but another 3 horses, means the motor can give more power to the gears. causing it to go a SMALL (if any) addition to top speed.

• numroe

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:15 AM

I think I see why you two guys don't see this the same way.

06kx450f is assuming the bike's engine is always pushing some significant load, like on a dyno, or on soft sand, or going up a significant hill. Unable to hit the rev limiter due to the load, so more HP = more speed (well, only if the extra HP is at RPM range where the engine sits during the "test").

stlavsa is assuming the bike is going along flat ground or at least insignificant load. In which case any stock kx450f engine has more than enough HP (with any pipe) to push the rolling and wind resistance and for the engine to hit the rev limiter.

Most people (me included) imagine the experiment on flat hard ground. In which case max rear wheel speed is purely up to the gearing. Same as the max rear wheel speed when pinning the throttle to prevent an endo jump landing.

As for the original "web site" data, we can only guess why they bothered posting the info on the pipes. Maybe they were on sand or something. My guess is the pipe info was irrelevant. :excuseme: :lol: :excuseme:

• stlavsa

Posted September 25, 2008 - 10:06 AM

ok now you said 'no you dont understand'. I understand perfectly, no pipes do not make your bike rev higher, they give the motor more hp (or tourque) depending on the pipe. 3 hp gain will get you going, 4-5 mph faster. im not trying to turn this into an arguement im just saying, ive seen the dyno for a kx 250f stock and with fmf setup, same gearing it got another 3mph out of the bike. YES the bike was on the rev limiter, No a pipe wont give you another 10 mph, thats gearing. but another 3 horses, means the motor can give more power to the gears. causing it to go a SMALL (if any) addition to top speed.

3hp wont make a change in top speed.. 30 HP wont on these bikes either...Numroes post should help clear it up.

I am imagining the test being performed on a road.. or hard flatsurface. And like i said the bike could have 50 extra HP and the top speed isnt going to change because the gearings maxxed out.

The speed of the bike is determined by the diameter of the rear tire/wheel and the speed (RPMS) its turning. This wont change if its 50 or 60 or 70 HP. Its controlled by the gearing, and rev limit of the cdi.

3 extra HP may get you another mph for a blink of an eye because it will hit the rev limiter faster.. letting the more turn higher because its carrying momentum... Thats definately not a true measure of top speed and that top speed could never be hit on the ground.. Hell it will only hit that on the dyno for 2/10's of a second.

• 2006kx450f

Posted September 28, 2008 - 10:21 PM

I think I see why you two guys don't see this the same way.

06kx450f is assuming the bike's engine is always pushing some significant load, like on a dyno, or on soft sand, or going up a significant hill. Unable to hit the rev limiter due to the load, so more HP = more speed (well, only if the extra HP is at RPM range where the engine sits during the "test").

stlavsa is assuming the bike is going along flat ground or at least insignificant load. In which case any stock kx450f engine has more than enough HP (with any pipe) to push the rolling and wind resistance and for the engine to hit the rev limiter.

Most people (me included) imagine the experiment on flat hard ground. In which case max rear wheel speed is purely up to the gearing. Same as the max rear wheel speed when pinning the throttle to prevent an endo jump landing.

As for the original "web site" data, we can only guess why they bothered posting the info on the pipes. Maybe they were on sand or something. My guess is the pipe info was irrelevant. :bonk: :lol: :eek:

Yes thats exactly what im saying! :lame: i do understand now though, that gearing does make sense. thank you for clearing that up numroe and stlava:worthy:

• kxflinflon

Posted May 18, 2014 - 07:35 PM

**UPDATE**

ok ive got more info on this these bikes are all equipped with different pipes. ill list them,

kx 450, (powerbomb,4.1 titanium)

crf 450r (megabomb,4.1 titanium)

rmz 450 (dr.d titanium,carbon fiber)

ktm 450 (ti-4 GP system)

yz 450f (stock exhuast, 12 by 49 tooth sprockets)

all bikes were jetted right on, and they had a 2 mile strip to race. 'apparantly' the 4 speed with powerbomb header seemed to make a perfect combo with the kx? however they were disapointed with the suzukis and ktm's performance.

please dont say im full of bs, im not claiming this just copying it.

I've got the same set up as the kawi in this test, stock gearing 4.1 with a stainless power bomb header. Has 3.2 gallon tank and I GPS'd it at 134kph (83mph) today. The motor isn't fresh and has quite a few miles on it but she still has some balls! I would love to gear it up, get DOT approved rubber and try get it too 100mph if possible, just for shits and gigs

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The official KX450F picture/video thread! by VETMX808

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • Hot  954 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KX450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KX450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 8 reviews
  • Last review by anoolite76
  • On October 01, 2014
Forums
Photo

Think I made a big mistake by yz125rider447

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  37 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.