Electric Start YZ - Trim the fat off WR

22 replies to this topic
  • cardoc

Posted September 18, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone tried to trim the fat off a late model WR450? How much weight can be saved/trimmed by;

*Removing the headlight and tail light
*Taking off the AIS
*Replacing the pipe with light weight aftermarket pipe
*Lighter weight battery
*Remove kick starter and maybe even the kick start mechanism
*Other mods or ???

What has anyone done towards this idea. I love the reliability of the Yamahas and I really love the light weight YZ450. An electric start WR/YZ would be awesome for hard core trail riding, some racing and maybe some track time.

What do you think?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 18, 2008 - 09:56 AM

Wouldn't a yz450 with a $500 rekluse give you the same benefits with less trouble and money?

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:02 AM

I race my 07', I have removed headlight and cowl, ODO, AIS, tail light, and installed nylon chain guide. If I remember when I weighed it all it came to about 7 lbs.

All this is offset by a real skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, CFC clutch cover, larger fuel tank, steering dampner, etc....

These are heavy bikes, period if you want a lighter bike the YZ or a 2 smoke is a better option than trying to dump money into making the WR lighter.

I still run the stock header and can with a GYTR endcap... and while I am sure that for $ you can get a lighter and more free flowing exhaust, the fact remains that I am winning races at an "A" level against YZF's and other MX big bore 4 strokes:excuseme:

I WOULD NOT REMOVE THE KICK STARTER:excuseme: Unless you like pushing the bike you are only asking for aggrivation.

I even left my coolant recovery sytem in place so I could ride the pack and carry stuff without losing all my coolant:thumbsup:

My suggestion is to lift weights and do cardio regularly... the bike will feel lighter:ride:

• tribalbc

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Battery and pipe are the big ones. You could probably shave close to 10lbs here. I have a nicad ebatt which weighs 2lbs compared to the stock 5lbs. They have a Lithium system coming out that will weigh just 12ozs. I have an 08 Yz exhaust on mine which shaved around another 3lbs. Aftermarket could be even lighter ?
AIS 1.5lbs
Wouldn't remove kick start for the weight versus relability
Kickstand and replace peg mount with YZ maybe another 1.5lbs
Sprockets, aluminum would shave at least a couple pounds. I chose Ironman for the near aluminum weight but longevity of steel.

I like to keep the light's and odo on. For the weight loss I'd rather have light, distance and time.

• tribalbc

Posted September 18, 2008 - 11:16 AM

As SJMC Don said this all gets offset by the addition of rad guards, skid plate, disc guards, etc.
But at least the battery and exhaust are weight up high you get rid of.

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 18, 2008 - 11:40 AM

I race my 07', I have removed headlight and cowl, ODO, AIS, tail light, and installed nylon chain guide. If I remember when I weighed it all it came to about 7 lbs.

All this is offset by a real skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, CFC clutch cover, larger fuel tank, steering dampner, etc....

These are heavy bikes, period if you want a lighter bike the YZ or a 2 smoke is a better option than trying to dump money into making the WR lighter.

I still run the stock header and can with a GYTR endcap... and while I am sure that for $ you can get a lighter and more free flowing exhaust, the fact remains that I am winning races at an "A" level against YZF's and other MX big bore 4 strokes:excuseme:

I WOULD NOT REMOVE THE KICK STARTER:excuseme: Unless you like pushing the bike you are only asking for aggrivation.

I even left my coolant recovery sytem in place so I could ride the pack and carry stuff without losing all my coolant:thumbsup:

My suggestion is to lift weights and do cardio regularly... the bike will feel lighter:ride:

x2 get fit!

• beezer

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:05 PM

I try to have a bowel movement before I ride as I tend to be full of chit.

Neutech tubes will cut 5 or 6 pounds and eliminate pinch flats.

http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:17 PM

You use these? I have been getting flats more than I can stand. Yes Beezerbub, I check my air pressure. I now won't go less than 15 lbs because of so many snake bite flats. (pinch flats)

• cardoc

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Great answers guys. I agree for the most part. I have been partial to big bore (450) or open class (525) electric start 4 strokes, and in some conditions the weight can be a benefit. I ride a lot of rocks, and sometimes when I am pounding up a rocky, nasty wash or beat two track - other guys on smaller (lighter) bikes are deflecting and bouncing around. I can grip the tank and keep 'er steady and plug away nice and smooth and stay put. But there are plenty of other conditions where the heavy weight will wear you out or be harder to ride. So anyway - like your suggestions mention, if you can trim 10 or 12 pounds off a WR that would make a nice dependable, very powerful scoot.

• beezer

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:26 PM

The real answer in the rocks is a WR250 with a big bore kit in it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:32 PM

The real answer in the rocks is a WR250 with a big bore kit in it.

answer my question Dammit! DO YOU USE THESE? SHEESH! They aren't flat proof, just pinch flat proof. you just fill up tehy tire with air.

• beezer

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:54 PM

A few of my friends use them and like them. Most flats that I've gotten are pinch flats.

I'm waiting for the price to go down.

Charles since you ride one of those steel dinosaurs a 6 pound weight loss is a drop in the bucket.

It's like Rosie O'Donnell only eating 1 Twinky at lunch instead of 2.

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 18, 2008 - 12:59 PM

A few of my friends use them and like them. Most flats that I've gotten are pinch flats.

Charles since you ride one of those steel dinosaurs a 6 pound weight loss is a drop in the bucket.

Thanks Beezer! Can i have a non-payback loan so I can update the Dino.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 18, 2008 - 01:00 PM

They have been claiming "60 days until the 18" comes available" for the last year now :excuseme:

• beezer

Posted September 18, 2008 - 02:47 PM

A buddy has 2 bikes with 18" rear tires with Neutech tubes in them.

I dunno how he got them but I'll axe.

• tribalbc

Posted September 18, 2008 - 04:08 PM

I've read they really aren't that much lighter than a heavy duty tube :excuseme:

• jj546

Posted September 18, 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm trying to get in touch with Ebatt and get no email reply and the phone number is no good. Do you have another contact that I can't get?

JJ

• tribalbc

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:17 AM

I'm trying to get in touch with Ebatt and get no email reply and the phone number is no good. Do you have another contact that I can't get?

JJ

:excuseme: can't help you there.

I seem to remember he can be quite slow to answer emails :lol:

• beezer

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:58 AM

My buddy said that the Neutechs weigh 5 to 6 pounds less than HD tubes.

I also found them in stock here.

http://www.powerspor...=NEUTEC TUBLISS

• ncmountainman

Posted September 20, 2008 - 06:21 AM

the alum framed bikes aren't any lighter,just a better COG. if you remove all the starter crap get a rekluse pro,get a yz airbox,and spend a little time tuning the carb you'll have basically a wide ratio yz. i took over 25lbs off my 04 wr 450 got it down to 235 wet w/out gas(only a couple more lbs than the same yr yz)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.