Leg cast. Toes turn blue when standing. Normal?

4 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:11 AM

I broke my leg 3 1/2 weeks ago. Leg cast below my knee.

When I stand on crutches, my toes swell and turn blue/purple. Then when I sit and elevate the leg, the color and size returns to normal.

Is this normal?

• Tyler Mx_459

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:17 AM

When I was on crutches my whole leg turned blue/purple, (the one I wasn't using).

So I'm guessing it's definitely normal. I think it's lack of oxygen because you're not using it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HUKIT

Posted September 16, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Blood pooling the the leg? If i remember right the calf muscle returns the blood back to the heart so if your not using your calf muscle the blood stays.

• slowxr

Posted September 17, 2008 - 09:47 AM

Saw the my DR. yesterday. Said this was normal on a leg/ankle injury. Something about blood vesels and/or gravity.

• DaWasher

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Broke mine 3 1/2 weeks ago too. My toes are not turning blue, but I do swell up through the day. Toes get fat and the cast gets snug. As soon as I get home from work and eleveate, relief is felt in minutes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
No More Blistered Hands! - last post by mxwink509

No More Blistered Hands!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.