09 exhuast glowing red

7 replies to this topic
  • jimbo uk

Posted September 16, 2008 - 10:58 AM

hi all i just picked up my 09 and started it up for the first time with in a minute the exhuast was glowing red is there any reason for this???????????

• KJ790

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:11 AM

Let me guess, you were in an area with dim lighting. It is normal for the header to glow. You may be a tad lean on the jetting. You can richen it up and see how it runs.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:13 AM

LOL! Same today as it was seven years ago, when TT started. Timeless question... :lol:

4 stroke headers glow. You can even light your cigarette on them. I don't smoke, but I've given others light before... :excuseme:

• WB450

Posted September 16, 2008 - 12:25 PM

It almost caught me a few years ago, luckily I found TT before I panicked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lilyamaharacer9

Posted September 16, 2008 - 12:27 PM

LOL! Same today as it was seven years ago, when TT started. Timeless question... :lol:

4 stroke headers glow. You can even light your cigarette on them. I don't smoke, but I've given others light before... :excuseme:

Yea, it is typical for the headers to glow, but a being lean will make the header glow even faster.

And yes headers can light a cigarette, why would you want to do that i do not know but i have seen it done before.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2008 - 01:55 PM

The timeless answer to the Timeless Question: "Mine does that all the time."

Posted Image

But, whether your situation is normal or not depends on how much and how soon it glows. Red heat, visible in twilight after 40-60 seconds of running is normal. A glow brighter than that, so that it's visible in brighter light, or sooner than that, say within 15 seconds in twilight is a little excessive, and may indicate lean idle mixture.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 16, 2008 - 03:08 PM

And yes headers can light a cigarette, why would you want to do that i do not know but i have seen it done before.

Why? Because someone needed a light of course...:excuseme:

• husqy360

Posted September 16, 2008 - 04:31 PM

ya i had the same question when i got my first 4t bike.
after the dealer rejet the carb it was still glowing red. tt got the answer !!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.