How to change headlight from on/off to high/low beam?

23 replies to this topic
  • tweav

Posted September 29, 2008 - 03:10 AM

I already told you that you don't need a relay . I have a relay on the power supply side of my head light switch , but it is there so that everything turns off with my key without overloading that. That guy has a relay because he did not want ac and dc running thru his switch . so he wants to switch the relay and run the turn signals with dc and run the ac to the headlight thru the relay . I don't think there is much of a point to this but that's what he wants. the way you are talking about it differant then both mine and his. You want to run the output from the switch to trigger the relay and use the relay to carry the load of the headlight . this is all well and good but that switch is designed to carry the load of headlight so it's kind of pointless.

• fix

Posted September 29, 2008 - 03:28 AM

You did tell me i know! :lame:

Sorry im just trying to make sure i dont end of frazzling the switch!

I read that the switch can only handle 24w safely and the wr headlight is 55w thats the only reason ive asked again

As i say apologies i was just worried thats all,i do appreciate everything youve helped me with

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted September 29, 2008 - 04:45 PM

You did tell me i know! :lame:

Sorry im just trying to make sure i dont end of frazzling the switch!

I read that the switch can only handle 24w safely and the wr headlight is 55w thats the only reason ive asked again

As i say apologies i was just worried thats all,i do appreciate everything youve helped me with

I can tell you that I have had a 2 headlight switches fail , but not from over load . they failed due to bad solder joints on the switch themselves , so they were E-Z fixes but they were failures none the less .

you can wire in a relay quite E-z for what you want . just use a standard 5 pin boush style relay . hook the one side of the coil in it to ground hook the other to ether on of the two head light outs from your switch HI or low it does'nt matter . then hook a stator hot to the common lead on the relay then . the other two will be your headlight outs.

Note . hooking it up this way your head light will always be on when the bike is running . Ie. the normally closed terminal on the relay. no matter where the headlight slide is

• fix

Posted October 01, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Thanks again for the reply tweav,i sort of understand what you mean with the relay

pin 1 - ground wire

pin 2 - headlight out (from the switch)

pin 3 - stator hot (i dont know what you mean by this)

pin 4 - wire to the headlight

pin 5 - wire to the headlight

I managed to wire up the switch yesterday and everything pretty much works ok

Though the horn is very quiet and muffled,could it be an ac horn instead of dc? I tried it on a 12v battery and it worked fine,but it doesnt work right on the bike

The bike doesnt cut out when the lights on the switch are turned off,though the horn button doesnt work unless the lights are turned on.

I rode the bike today and by the time i came home the lights had totally stopped working! I was worried and thought id done something seriously wrong!

I put a battery to the switch and the lights etc worked fine so i was abit puzzled,i wired up a new earth wire and everything worked off the bike fine

I know some places on the bike are better for earth wires than others,can someone tell me from the pic below if the earth i have chosen is ok? (Its the thick red wire on the engine mount)

Posted Image

Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.