Wr keeps blowing fuses help

19 replies to this topic
  • crazyz250

Posted September 16, 2008 - 04:42 AM

Put the baja designs street legal kit on last night and took it for a spin. I was just ridn and everything went dead. no lights, horn, elec start etc but the bike was still running (lucky). It has blown one of the orig 10 am fuses and the 15 amp that came with the kit. I replaced them and it did it again. What could i look for? bad ground? i did the stator mod and it seems to be fine, everything it hooked up as it should be from what i can see. Any ideas would be great thanks!

• matt4x4

Posted September 16, 2008 - 05:39 AM

a bad ground will never blow a fuse - it will just shut off the circuit it's part of.
Could be a badly insulated feed (+) wire shorting to ground, a bad harness plug, a bad wire tapping job....obviously it's affecting more than the Baja Designs circuitry - also taking out your electric start.

• tweav

Posted September 16, 2008 - 06:09 AM

I would look for pinched wires and double check all the spices you made . where did you made your connections? how long did it take to blow the fuses ? did it blow them both at the same time?

• DIX

Posted September 16, 2008 - 09:24 AM

Check the connections for the signals and the brake light. If they are not well taped or are allowed to touch the frame of the bike in any way they will blow fuses. I went through a half dozzen fuses testing my system before I realized that the exposed wires were making contact with the subframe and blowing the fuses.

• face_plant

Posted September 16, 2008 - 12:02 PM

also i have seen bad brake light switches
hit the brakes and the fuse blows...

• crazyz250

Posted September 16, 2008 - 05:50 PM

okay so i put a new fuse in it, a 30 this time because thats all that was around. Checked all my connections and found a rear blinker was rubbing the sub frame. i hought sweet problem fixed. Took it out for a spin and 5 min down the road nothing worked - but the bike was still going. Everything baja kit related doesnt work once fuse is blown. This kinda sucks because i would be out ridn right now. So just keep tracing wires? if a blinker was say wired backwards would that cause it? + to - and - to + this is pissing me off.... also the way the rear blinkers mount is kinda dumb. my exhaust fumes hit the blinker and it totally melted the blinker all thats left is a bulb and wires :excuseme: honestly, not worth $460 maybe $300...

• matt4x4

Posted September 17, 2008 - 03:33 AM

Ok, that totally sucks that it's melting your blinker - one would think that they would make something with a little more thought as to where to place things so they are not in the way of exhausts.
Have you checked THAT blinker - if it melted the casing, it may well have melted the wires together inside, then - if you turn it on - bam - you got a short.

Well, you've got it narrowed down to the Baja kit being the problem, likely, you've tied into the starter circuit for your feed - thus the starter circuit fuse blew in your earlier post.

What you can do now is buy a bunch of proper fuses, remove all light feed wires except what you need for one light - the way to do that is to go to where all wires to the lights come off the control unit, should have a harness plug there - most harness connectors have a little spring clip on the metal portion that hold them tight into the connector, if you push that clip you can pull the metal connector right out of the harness plug, so unclip all except one light and the ground of course, ride - if it blows, it's that light, if it doesn't, add in the next light and so on until it blows, at which point you remove the last light and ride again just to verify. Oh yeah - make sure you draw yourself a nice little diagram so you are sure to put everything back where it came from in the connector.
At that point, you have one lamp circuit to inspect for a problem.

• tweav

Posted September 17, 2008 - 09:38 AM

okay so i put a new fuse in it, a 30 this time because thats all that was around. Checked all my connections and found a rear blinker was rubbing the sub frame. i hought sweet problem fixed. Took it out for a spin and 5 min down the road nothing worked - but the bike was still going. Everything baja kit related doesnt work once fuse is blown. This kinda sucks because i would be out ridn right now. So just keep tracing wires? if a blinker was say wired backwards would that cause it? + to - and - to + this is pissing me off.... also the way the rear blinkers mount is kinda dumb. my exhaust fumes hit the blinker and it totally melted the blinker all thats left is a bulb and wires :excuseme: honestly, not worth $460 maybe $300...

I don't want to sound like a prick but if you keep this up you'll need alot more then just some help.
I'm not really sure if you are trying to set your bike on fire or what . but putting a 30 amp fuse in where a 10 or 15 amp is a great way it start a fire or aleast burn up all the wiring and the stator. I think you should just take the bike to someone who knows how to work with wiring ,before you trash the whole electrical system .

If it were my bike I would unhook all the extras and test it . then hook them back on 1 by 1 with the right size fuse until I found the short.

• coloradobrad

Posted September 17, 2008 - 09:49 AM

Take a DMM and measure the resistance from your fused wire to ground. Try to track down any shorts this way. If you don't know what I'm talking about take it to someone who does so you don't damage your bike.

Don't put a 30 Amp fuse where a 10 Amp fuse is supposed to go unless you want melted wires or a fire.

• tweav

Posted September 17, 2008 - 10:14 AM

I think the first thing I would try at this point is to disconnect the rear turn signals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyz250

Posted September 17, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Melted blinker wasnt the problem it was just the housing and i double checked the wires and moved the blinker and bought the correct flush mounts. My friend has a tool to measure the resistance not sure if its called a DMM but it does the same thing. I have traced all of my wires, no open connection to ground itself out, double checked the wiring diagram and everything is where it should be. I put a 10 right back in after it blew the 30 i know it wrong to do that but there was nothing else to do the spare fuse on the bike is a 30 so i was kinda stuck.

I took it riding on the trails today and it was deff fun. It really needs an exhaust to open it up along with some adjustments and some tlc but that will all come in time. I dont even have my license yett only a permit so its good that my lights dont work yett :excuseme:

• tweav

Posted September 17, 2008 - 05:16 PM

as I said before unhook everthing except the headlight then run it if it blows the fuse with just the headlight then your trouble is there . next I would hook up the tail light try it then the brake light try it .and so forth . I would guess your not even using the turn signals are you ? I mean they could get shorted before the switch and even at the flash and pop the fuse .

• crazyz250

Posted September 17, 2008 - 05:53 PM

everything works for a few mine. high beam/low, signals, break light, horn etc.. then outa of no where boom. I'm going to strip the bike down once again and not stop until i figure it out.

• matt4x4

Posted September 18, 2008 - 04:19 AM

Definitely a short though or else that 30 would have lasted longer than it did - when a 30 goes you got a definite short.

• crazyz250

Posted September 19, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Okay i got everything fixed. On the front of the bike theres 2 wires that look as tho they should be connected (male and female ends) from 2 different sets of wires. Well they arn't supposed to be together, just left there apart. That was the problem. So i un-hooked that and still it burnt up a 15 amp. I double checked everything and realized the back break wires were melted together from the exhaust. Fixed that and everything works :excuseme:

so i took it for a spin and its not running so well. It seems to be mis-firing. It did this before when i rode it and i knew it had the orginal plug in it so i changed that out and it still does it. Clean air filter and oil. The gas was 1/2 tank of who knows what when i bought it so i filled it with 93 and its down to 3/4 tank. Figure just run that gas tru and see if it clears up? think the carb needs cleaning? at WOT it goes good, and bogging it it seems fine but at mid throttle it spits and sputters... ideas? thanks guys

• Fullbore4

Posted September 19, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I would drain tank and fill with new gas.....take the carb apart and check/clean it (with good solvent).....make sure carb slide has no cracks.....if all is good a mid throttle stutter shows too rich a needle.

• tweav

Posted September 19, 2008 - 08:35 PM

not to get off subject but , I'm wodering how hard is it to get a dirt bike street legal in NY ? I've know a few people who had gotten cars from NY that were salvaged and they said they had a heck of a time getting all the paperwork straightened out .

as far as your bike running bad . Did it ever run right for you since you've had it? If not there is a good chance that it's jetted wrong. or your accel pump is not working or both.

• crazyz250

Posted September 20, 2008 - 12:55 AM

getting a salvaged car titled again is wayy harder then getting a bike street legal. You just need all the shit to make it work. Put insurance on the bike and reg. it, get it inspected and your good. Pretty much just like a car.

As for the bike it did run good when i rode it at the guys house. It was a bit warmer and he was at much higher elevation. Last night it seemed to be doing it pretty bad and it sure was cold out. He never said anything about the bike being jetted tho. it has the stock pipe.

• crazyz250

Posted September 22, 2008 - 04:33 PM

okay bike has a new spark plug, new premium gas and i put 100 miles on it in the past 2 days. Still running rough around mid rpm's. What do i check for. I could pull the carb and clean it a bit, floats and needles make sure there's no dirt, but will this accomplish anything? anything else to try first?

• tweav

Posted September 22, 2008 - 10:41 PM

you may just have the standard issue mid throttle shutter. it is much worst if your jetting is off . there are a few adjustments that you can make to help this but to rarely ever goes competely away . I would start with the jetting first . do a search on mid throttle shutter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.