chatter box

15 replies to this topic
  • rockdodger

Posted January 02, 2003 - 01:57 PM

hey big bike dudes :)
sorry to intrude... i thought this would be a good place to ask.
have any of you used the helmet mounted radios made by hjc- chatter box?
i think they could be useful if they work as advertised.
thanks for letting me visit
rock

• Pete_Z

Posted January 02, 2003 - 06:50 PM

I have customers that use the Collett communicators and they swear by them, though I've never tried one myself. (All the voices inside my head are enough company as it is without having to listen to someone else! :)) The Colletts are a little more money, but probably worth it. You can buy them direct and I have heard nothing but good things about the company and the way they service after the sale. They have a new model out called the Platinum 900, which would probably be the way to go. I don't have thier website address, but maybe someone here does. If not you can call them at 1-800-665-7888.

Peace Eh - P.Z.

• rockdodger

Posted January 02, 2003 - 08:38 PM

thanks
i appreciate it
peace
rock

• endurodog

Posted January 02, 2003 - 11:37 PM

I have used the chatterbox and liked it. The VOX part doesn't work cause of the noise of the bike and all so you need to mount the push to talk button. It is way cool to use though. I have also seen some guys using the little talkies with head sets they mount in their helmets.

• PUMPKIN_HEAD

Posted January 03, 2003 - 04:18 AM

This summer me and the family tried useing the Motorolas(the little FRS ones) and bought headsets that go into the helmet. It worked great for my son and fiance because thier bike are somewhat quiet, my bike would send the VOX(voice operated)part into orbit so that all they would hear is my bike. I tried to figure out a way to mount a talk button to my handle bars but had no success.
Now a couple of months ago I'd seen a headset on the Baja Designs website that came with the push to talk button that mounts to the handlebars for $190.00 each. I called to talk to them about the headsets and no one there had any experience with them. I don't know about you guys but $190.00 is alot to pay for a headset that no one really knows for sure if it works or not. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried one of these headsets or has used something else in the past that works great. Dose anyone know what the pros use? Great topic.
:)

• rockdodger

Posted January 03, 2003 - 06:42 AM

yo pete,
the "peace" was for here
NUKE the rest of em!!! :)
later
rock

• rockdodger

Posted January 03, 2003 - 06:59 AM

i dont mind modifying something to make it work
i just figured this would be a lot better than trial and error
i guess i should have been more general in my post :)
a tech(salesman) at hjc told me they had problems with the vox feature on the full face model. he said the off road helmets are much more open and allow for wind and noise interferance. he said i would be better off with the open face headset because the mic. is on a flexable wand that can be bent up out of the way. also , i would have to close off the vents in the chin guard to reduce noise.
thats all i got :D hope it helps someone
later
rock

• PUMPKIN_HEAD

Posted January 03, 2003 - 07:31 AM

check this out. web page Baja Designs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rockdodger

Posted January 03, 2003 - 08:33 AM

thanks,
it seems that a good noise canceling mic is the key.
worth looking into
rock

• Jneum

Posted January 03, 2003 - 01:16 PM

Hey Rockdodger,
Check out the thread under Dual Sport re: Chatter Box. I just responded to a similar topic.

http://www.thumperta...b=5&o=7&fpart=1

JN

'03 KTM 525EXC

• endurodog

Posted January 03, 2003 - 11:57 PM

One thing I would like to add about he push to talk button. I put it on my helmet. I have to take my hands off the bars now to talk and thats not always possible but then the whole system is contained on the helmet and I never have to unhook wires when making stops, just slip the helmet off.

• KS

Posted January 04, 2003 - 01:09 PM

I have a radio communicator that I am making up myself.

The radio set ups that I have been making consist of: a chatterbox headset (microphone & 2 good quality speakers),
a push to talk switch mounted on the left side of your handlebars and a coiled cord that goes between you and the bike. It unplugs easily in the event of a crash to eliminate wiring damage. The Motorola radio mounts to your chest protector either by clipping on or as I and most of my buddies have done - purchase an inexpensive ($10) radio pouch from a local ham radio store. I suppose you could also use a cell phone pouch. These we attach to the chest protector with a couple of zip ties. You should go to Baja Designs website and look at the helmet communicator that they have. Mine is very similar, but a has a bit less wiring and is much cheaper! I am asking $110 per unit and you provide the Motorola radio.
They are very high quality, all the connectors are molded, not soldered on, and the one and only connection is sealed in heat shrink tubing. I would like to eventually be able to sell these for less, but since I'm not a manufacturer I am paying full retail for all the components as well as tax, and shipping on the items I can't get locally. But again, I'm still cheaper than Baja Designs.

• KS

Posted January 04, 2003 - 01:11 PM

I have a radio communicator that I am making up myself.

The radio set ups that I have been making consist of: a chatterbox headset (microphone & 2 good quality speakers),
a push to talk switch mounted on the left side of your handlebars and a coiled cord that goes between you and the bike. It unplugs easily in the event of a crash to eliminate wiring damage. The Motorola radio mounts to your chest protector either by clipping on or as I and most of my buddies have done - purchase an inexpensive ($10) radio pouch from a local ham radio store. I suppose you could also use a cell phone pouch. These we attach to the chest protector with a couple of zip ties. You should go to Baja Designs website and look at the helmet communicator that they have. Mine is very similar, but a has a bit less wiring and is much cheaper! I am asking $110 per unit and you provide the Motorola radio.
They are very high quality, all the connectors are molded, not soldered on, and the one and only connection is sealed in heat shrink tubing. I would like to eventually be able to sell these for less, but since I'm not a manufacturer I am paying full retail for all the components as well as tax, and shipping on the items I can't get locally. But again, I'm still cheaper than Baja Designs.

KS

'99 XR400
Renthal Bars (Carmicheal bend)
Scotts Damper
ESP Suspension
Summers Fork Brace
Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit
ICO Racing odo/speedo
Snorkle removed, Uni Filter 160/58
96/97 end cap w/Vortip

• Mr_Toyz

Posted January 04, 2003 - 04:16 PM

Thought this might help, and much much less money...

PTT headsets

Joe

• KS

Posted January 04, 2003 - 05:40 PM

Mr Toyz,

I saw those PTT headsets on Dennis Kirk website. So I bought one just to checkout who I might be competing with.

I was also intrigued by the price. All I can say is, you get what you pay for. The headset components are not nearly as nice as the Chatterbox headset components. (the speakers sound terrible) There are too many wires running all over, the PTT switch is almost 3 inches wide and attaches with Velcro. (I don't know about you, but I don't have a spare 3 inches on my bars) and the worst part is the plug is not designed to disconnect in the event of a crash. I agree mine is a bit pricey. I just need to find a way to purchase the components at a reduced price.

I will bother you guys no more.

KS

• Mr_Toyz

Posted January 05, 2003 - 08:30 AM

What I realy want to know is which headset can I get to work with the new Garmin Rinos?

These things are awesome!

Garmin Rino

Joe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.