400 or 426

5 replies to this topic
  • Liam

Posted June 16, 2002 - 01:26 AM

So what's the difference between the 400 and 426 in real terms?

I'm just about done with my very modded XR280, and I want something with more power and better suspension. I'm doing mainly enduro and hare scrambles (hare and hounds here in the UK), and quite a bit of trail riding. I ride quite a lot of tight technical stuff in these events.

What's the 426 got that the 400 hasn't, apart from ultimate power/torque. I'm not the fastest rider in the world, and I'd much prefer something a bit more user friendly rather than just fast. That's why I don't like 2 strokes.

• jplear

Posted June 16, 2002 - 04:29 PM

How about a 450. Never been on a 400 ,I love the power of my 426. Easy to start ,hard to stall , powerful but very controllable.

• Jim_Bob

Posted June 16, 2002 - 04:47 PM

I swapped my 400 for my mates 426 on the weekend and I could hardly tell the difference. Mine is a pretty modified 1999 model and his was stock 2002. If I was after a new bike Yamaha would still get my money. If you are buying new then it might be worth waiting for the magic button.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumperjp

Posted June 16, 2002 - 04:52 PM

Go 450! It has an e-button!

• Liam

Posted June 17, 2002 - 12:38 AM

I'd love to go 450, but I really haven't got the money for a new one, and I don't actually mind kick start. I can generally get my XR280 away on stopped engine race starts quicker than the DRZ boys, just a question of learning a drill that works really.

I guess from the replies that for a rider of my small ability it really doesn't matter if I get a 400 or 426, so I'll just look out for the tidiest bike I can find when the time comes. Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

• thumperjp

Posted June 17, 2002 - 02:43 AM

Liam , try e-button.
You'll change your mind.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.