Battery woes

4 replies to this topic
  • Regalman

Posted September 15, 2008 - 05:30 AM

So, I picked up my new WR last wed... it wouldn't start when I got it home. I ended up charging the battery and got it going. Even when fully charged, if it doesn't start within about 10 seconds of trying [5 or so 2 second tries] its dead.

I'm guessing it should last way longer than that... do you think its covered under warranty? If so, do you think i can pull the battery and take it in or will I have to take the whole bike in?

PS - even when warm, it seems finicky to start... haven't gotten it down pat yet. I'm not sure if I'm flooding it or what. Plus it runs like crap because I still have it all emmisioned up because I had to order the kit.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:22 AM

So, I picked up my new WR last wed... it wouldn't start when I got it home. I ended up charging the battery and got it going. Even when fully charged, if it doesn't start within about 10 seconds of trying [5 or so 2 second tries] its dead.

I'm guessing it should last way longer than that... do you think its covered under warranty? If so, do you think i can pull the battery and take it in or will I have to take the whole bike in?

PS - even when warm, it seems finicky to start... haven't gotten it down pat yet. I'm not sure if I'm flooding it or what. Plus it runs like crap because I still have it all emmisioned up because I had to order the kit.

You should call the dealer and ask about the proper procedure for a warranty claim on a brand new bike. Its hard to imagine that they won't give you a new battery.

btw... I personally thinkk that the strength (or lack thereof) of the battery on the WR is something that needs to be addressed. The bike could definitely benefit from spinning a little faster. The battery in my 05 is kinda useless if it doesn't start in the first 4 or 5 stabs at it. Its a good thing it kicks over easy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Power

Posted September 15, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Is it hard to start without that battery in too? When my battery was dead because I let it sit over the winter it was VERY hard to kick start too. But once the battery got charged up then the bike would kick start cold in 2 kicks. There must be something electronic that wont allow the bike to start without the battery? Anybody know about this?

• roushxteam199

Posted September 15, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I can crank mine over for a good minute before dying. my battery is stock but works amazing.

• Regalman

Posted September 15, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I called the dealer, he told me to bring it in.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.