To Rebuild or not to Rebuild?

13 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted September 15, 2008 - 02:27 AM

My 06 WR has over 6000km on her now, and that is not highway miles, it's mostly normal to hard off road driving with a little on road. I have no loss of power, noise or any other complaints, but I was wondering about re-ringing her or not over the upcoming winter (only 5 degrees c here now)

• kskyles

Posted September 15, 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hey MountainMax-

My '05 is getting the top rebuilt right now. New piston, rings, valves, honing, etc...

I let it go too long. I did regular valve checks and was routine on my maintenance.

When they did the compression test, it was only holding about 35% of what it should.

If anything, I would get a compression test done to see how well the bike is doing. I don't think it would hurt anything.

I should have done that last year.

• MountainMax

Posted September 15, 2008 - 01:12 PM

it's hard to do a compression test on these because of the auto decompression pin on them, they will never read as high as they should......

• coloradobrad

Posted September 15, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hey MountainMax-

My '05 is getting the top rebuilt right now. New piston, rings, valves, honing, etc...

I let it go too long. I did regular valve checks and was routine on my maintenance.

When they did the compression test, it was only holding about 35% of what it should.

If anything, I would get a compression test done to see how well the bike is doing. I don't think it would hurt anything.

I should have done that last year.

+1, do a compression/leak-down test and then decide. You could opt for a high comp piston if you rebuild. Port/polish the head, bigger valves too :excuseme: With it being 5C outside now is the time...

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Like mountain max said, its practically impossible to get an accurate reading with a compression tester. +3 on the leak down test. The dealer is likely taking you for a ride.

Mountain max, 6000 KM is roughly 3,728 miles. Thats really not a significant amount of time for these engines. Have the valves ever needed adjustment?

A piston, rings, and timing chain is probably all it would need...if that. The piston is probably overkill.

• brad the best

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:48 PM

any one know what the compression should be ? with the auto decomp on ?

i guess i could disable it next time i do a valve check and then do a compression test .

• brad the best

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:48 PM

or couldn't you just try and kick it over slowly ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Have someone tow you with the bike in gear.

• lilyamaharacer9

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:52 PM

or couldn't you just try and kick it over slowly ?

No, the auto decompression is always in, no matter how fast you kick it. The leakdown test is your best bet.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 15, 2008 - 07:29 PM

no power loss? no oil consumption? i wouldn't change a thing!!

• brad the best

Posted September 15, 2008 - 07:49 PM

No, the auto decompression is always in, no matter how fast you kick it. The leakdown test is your best bet.

ya i was thinking backwards for a second .

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 15, 2008 - 09:32 PM

One thing with these bikes even w/ the auto decomp there should still be alot of resistance on the kickstarter when you come up on TDC. Unlike the hondas where you could pretty much start them by hand.

If its blowing though TDC like a 426 with the decompression lever pulled in then yes you have problems.

• MountainMax

Posted September 16, 2008 - 02:26 AM

No power loss, oil comsumption, noise, nothing, i'll leave her for another year then forsure. I have adjusted the valves once when I popped in a YZ exhaust cam.

• kskyles

Posted September 16, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Like mountain max said, its practically impossible to get an accurate reading with a compression tester. +3 on the leak down test. The dealer is likely taking you for a ride.

It's not a dealer, he's an honest guy. My mechanic is the crew chief of warthog racing. He does good work, for a good price.

My rings were worn out, gaps out of spec and had an exhaust valve leak. Cylinder was worn...etc.

If the leak down test is the way to go, then it sounds like the right plan.

Either way, I wish I would have done it last year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.