chain and sprockets

12 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted September 14, 2008 - 05:57 PM

hey all, i am going to be needing a new chain for my bike. I know i need to by the sprockets as well. Its going on a 2003 yz450f with the 4spd tranny. My question is what gearing should i go with?? What is stock?? I would like something trick looking in color( maybe blue or black rear sprocket and maybe a gold looking chain) but i dont have too much to spend.. WHere is the best place to buy these for the best price?? Thanks alot to all.

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Stock gearing is 48/14. I used to run 49/15 on my '03 so it had a little more on top. That was a little bit tall on a very tight track, or on steep, twisty, technical climbs, so I sometimes switched it back to 49/14.

Without breaking the bank, you can get a very good drivetrain setup. Start with a Regina ORN6 chain. If you take care of it, and lay off the pressure washer, it will last at least a year, maybe two. Tag Metals rear sprockets are light, hard anodized for good wear, and reasonably priced. Any decent front sprocket will do, just stay away from the really cheap ones, and remember that the flat side goes out.

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2008 - 04:24 AM

For price and quality the Regina ORN6 chain is hard to beat. For sprockets that look cool/quality like the TAG also take a look at the new Pro Taper sprockets. I had a Pro Taper sprocket on the back of my '08 for awhile and it held up pretty good.

• bhsballer76

Posted September 15, 2008 - 09:50 AM

thanks.... can you guys reccomend a place to buy these??
ALso, what length chain will i be needing for my 2003??. I will proabably stick with stock gearing on the bike

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Yes.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

Tell them I sent you. You won't get a bigger discount, but it will make me look good. :lol:

Seriously, good prices, great service. :excuseme:

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Yes.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

Tell them I sent you. You won't get a bigger discount, but it will make me look good. :lol:

Seriously, good prices, great service. :excuseme:

^^^^ what he said....awesome prices on OEM parts too!:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhsballer76

Posted September 15, 2008 - 04:03 PM

what size chain am i going to be needing??

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2008 - 04:53 PM

114 links is stock for '03 YZ450F, page 50 of the manual. I usually just get a 120 and cut to the length I need.

• bhsballer76

Posted September 15, 2008 - 04:56 PM

114 links is stock for '03 YZ450F, page 50 of the manual. I usually just get a 120 and cut to the length I need.

thanks. you have been helpful. How do you cut them??? as you can probably tell i have never bought a chain before..

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2008 - 05:03 PM

the easiest way to cut a chain is with a chain breaker, http://motionpro.com.../chain_breaker/ order one of those too you will need it again. The ThumperTalk store should carry it.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2008 - 05:37 PM

I'm going to disagree with that one. I have had two of the MP chain breakers fail (broken drive pin) including the free one the parts store replaced the first one with. Unless they have seriously improved, they aren't up to the job.

Instead, I recommend either the 805330 or 805000 on this page:

http://www.reginacha...w_to01.shtml#01

Much better tools.

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:48 PM

hmmm...weird, I've had the same motion pro chain breaker for probably at least three years now and no problems.

Good info though I didn't realize that Regina made chain tools too.

I have the RK Chain Breaker/Rivet Tool also, which works great.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:59 PM

That particular MP tool is more for the occasional user. There was talk of them improving it. The whole problem was that the pin would buckle within the tool under pressure.

The Reginas are professional grade shop tools, and don't cost that much more. IIRC, the RK tool isn't bad either.

On the positive, my old MP tool makes a nice master link press. :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.