2000 yz400?

4 replies to this topic
  • 2strokenut

Posted September 14, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hey guys I come in peace! lol

I need some of your wisdom. Just picked up a 2000 yz400 from a buddy of mine and have a couple questions. Is there a way to figure out what the bike actually is? Like plug the VIN number in and BAM! The reason I ask is I thought it was a 426 in 2000 and the bike may be a WR from the oversize tank, kickstand and 18in rear wheel. Not sure. Also, bike has a brand new motor but just needs to be timed. How difficult would that be?

What about parts compatability? yz250f, wr250f, yz400/426/450, wr400/426/450?

Any help would be appreciated thumper dudes:worthy:

• tnl

Posted September 14, 2008 - 04:43 PM

For parts compatibility you can just see if the part #'s match any new part # here on the T.T. store except for the first digits before the - like sta-000-00 vs. 5ba-000-00. As long as the digits after the first few (sta) match then your good. It has worked for me recently. You could takre a picture and post it over on the yzf forum and Grayracer will tell ya.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2strokenut

Posted September 14, 2008 - 04:50 PM

For parts compatibility you can just see if the part #'s match any new part # here on the T.T. store except for the first digits before the - like sta-000-00 vs. 5ba-000-00. As long as the digits after the first few (sta) match then your good. It has worked for me recently. You could takre a picture and post it over on the yzf forum and Grayracer will tell ya.

The tenth digit is X so that makes it a 99 yz400 but how do I know its not a wr? I will try the TT store thanks Tim:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:44 PM

For parts compatibility you can just see if the part #'s match any new part # here on the T.T. store except for the first digits before the - like sta-000-00 vs. 5ba-000-00. As long as the digits after the first few (sta) match then your good.

That doesn't really work very well, mostly because there is so much interchangeability within the entire YZ line that there are parts on an '08 YZ450 that were introduced on a 1998 YZ250. There are also other parts that fit a few models, and still more that only fit one.

As far as the model goes, there was a label on the crossbar that runs across the sub frame between the rear fender and the airbox, under the seat. If it's still there, it will tell you.

• 2strokenut

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:54 PM

That doesn't really work very well, mostly because there is so much interchangeability within the entire YZ line that there are parts on an '08 YZ450 that were introduced on a 1998 YZ250. There are also other parts that fit a few models, and still more that only fit one.

As far as the model goes, there was a label on the crossbar that runs across the sub frame between the rear fender and the airbox, under the seat. If it's still there, it will tell you.

Thanks Greyracer, I will check!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.