the real world brake-in procedure

6 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted September 14, 2008 - 02:21 AM

Hi , so what i need confirmation of is the best brake-in technic when u put in
an new piston and rings...and the thruth of www.mototuneusa.com
recommendation of so called "HARD BRAKE INN" that u can and shoud blast it
from wery beginning all ready with short and hard bursts that the rings seals
properly....good or no good ...or is the manual soft driving metod better..:excuseme:

• KJ790

Posted September 14, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Today's engines and parts are made with such accuracy and good surface finishing that there really isn't any need for a "break in period". After a rebuild your rings seat within the first few seconds to a minute of running, so it doesn't really matter what method you choose, since by the time the engine is warm enough to ride it hard (or to ride it easy if you chose), the engine is already broken in. Personally I like to take one easy ride on it after a rebuild, but not for break in purposes. I do it more to make sure that everything was put together right. I don't want to ride it hard and find out a c-clip wasn't in right and have the engine lock on the race of a jump.

• William1

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:07 AM

+2 on KJ790 comments

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aggiemoto99

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:13 AM

If everything is assembled correctly...I think its needs to be put under moderate to heavy load, but not absolute peak rpm. High rpm can be a struggle for the ring to seat correctly, I think I read about ring flutter or something.

I have always built it, started to make sure it all runs correctly on the stand....then run it fairly hard for 10 minutes and let it cool, change the oil, and go! That's me, always have had great results, but kj is pretty much right, the better the machine work and componants the less break in period it all needs.

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2008 - 08:12 AM

Warm it up well by riding easy for 5-7 minutes, then ride it at 80-90% of it's capability for the first 30-60 minutes. Change the oil and go.

• clutchless

Posted September 14, 2008 - 08:37 AM

a couple heat cycles, then like gray said, ride at 80% for a bit. Change oil and let her rip.

if it grenades at that point Yamaha is still one of the only brands with a 90 day warranty or is it 30? either way, you wont need it.

• xorron5

Posted September 15, 2008 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for great info...i love it that i dont have to sissy ride it for
hours...:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.