06' 450 rear shock leak?

4 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted September 13, 2008 - 07:02 PM

Year and a half ago I baught a 06' hold over, so it's got a season and a half of 95% trail riding on it. I am 200# rider, so a little big, but suspension has not been heavily taxed. Anyways, a few weeks ago after riding in CO mountails I had it on the trailer and noticed rear shock shaft had a drop or so of oil on it. Have not ridden it a much at all since then, but if I ride around a bit there is hardly ever any oil on the shaft, but very occasionally a small ring of it on the shaft. My questions are this.......I know the forks on the 06' etc are prone to seeping, but is the rear shock the same?? (this is my 3rd yammi 4t and never had any probs with the 1st 2 despite many hrs of use).......How concerned should I be????......roughly what will it cost to put new fluid/charge/seal in shock if needed???....How much oil should cause me to be concerned??

• desert-rat660

Posted September 14, 2008 - 08:36 AM

i have never seen anytype of fluid leakage out of my rear shock shaft on my 06. is it dusty where u ride it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2008 - 09:53 AM

There should be no fluid on the shock rod at any time. The '06, or any other year YZ, does not have "an issue" with this; it's abnormal.

• c-man

Posted September 14, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Was pretty muddy in places when I rode and noticed the leak and VERY dusty in other places in the same weekend. Rode the crap out of it today on a trail ride and no oil on the shaft at all afterward. Suspension feels normal, and I'd say at the most maybe 3 drops of oil were lost total. What do I do.....ride it and forget about it?? Any idea of cost of minor rebuild if things should progress?

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2008 - 04:35 PM

If the rear suspension feels completely normal, and no more leaks are seen, I would think you're OK. Having a shock resealed (carried in) should be about 1.5 hours work.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.