Rekluse clutch

12 replies to this topic
  • Thrasherg

Posted September 13, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Well I just got a second hand Rekluse clutch of eBay for my YZ426 and fitted it this weekend.. I have never ridden an automatic bike before so it will be intersting to see how I get along with it (after 25 years of using a clutch). I like the way I have it setup in automatic mode, but I have the remote perch adjuster and find that the clutch lever is incredibly light and lacking in feel, is there anything that can be done to give the clutch lever a bit more feel or is this just the nature of the overide on an automatic clutch.. I am already impressed at how much easier it is to manuver the bike over tight slow obstacles (when I am standing up) when you don't have to use the clutch lever! This seems like it's going to be fun.. Finding Neutral is a bit more awkward unless I pull the clutch lever in.. I guess I will adapt, but I can't help thinking that this automatic clutch lark is cheating!! :thumbsup:

• r1rider871

Posted September 15, 2008 - 01:12 PM

Well I just got a second hand Rekluse clutch of eBay for my YZ426 and fitted it this weekend.. I have never ridden an automatic bike before so it will be intersting to see how I get along with it (after 25 years of using a clutch). I like the way I have it setup in automatic mode, but I have the remote perch adjuster and find that the clutch lever is incredibly light and lacking in feel, is there anything that can be done to give the clutch lever a bit more feel or is this just the nature of the overide on an automatic clutch.. I am already impressed at how much easier it is to manuver the bike over tight slow obstacles (when I am standing up) when you don't have to use the clutch lever! This seems like it's going to be fun.. Finding Neutral is a bit more awkward unless I pull the clutch lever in.. I guess I will adapt, but I can't help thinking that this automatic clutch lark is cheating!! :excuseme:

THe pro version offers a bit more feel like stock, but it will never be the same. I like that it only requires a 1 finger pull. I rarely use my override though. I am running the left hand rear brake setup on my 06 YZ450. I like it so much I did the same to my KTM:thumbsup:

My buddy hates me though. Says I am a cheater all the time:prof: He wants one so bad now!

• ftheie

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I thought the point of installing the Rekluse was that you didn't have to mess with the clutch anymore. I put one on my KTM 520 (now 540) and dig the thing!! I S&%$canned my clutch lever. When riding in technical terrain it is like cheating!! For open trails, desert, fire roads, i don't feel there is as much of a benefit.

• Thrasherg

Posted September 16, 2008 - 01:00 PM

I agree that I shouldn't need the clutch, but it's a bit of a security blanket (after 25 years of using a clutch) I like to have it there. I agree that on open area's it doesn't seem to be an advantage, but sneaking around trees and rocks, I found it really nice..

• ncmountainman

Posted September 17, 2008 - 09:21 AM

the override comes in handy when you have the stall speed set very near to idle(which i feel is the best way) and you can actually lug out of power in certain situations.

• DMC707

Posted September 17, 2008 - 11:20 AM

override would be a necessity for a mx start as well

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thrasherg

Posted September 20, 2008 - 08:08 PM

The more I ride this YZ426, the more I like the bike and the Rekluse clutch, I still keep grabbing the clutch lever every now and then, but I am slowly learning to leave it alone.. We went out with the kids today and then Daddy got 30 minutes to play on the MX track and whilst I was only getting 4 to 6 feet of air, it felt good, I can't believe it's been 3 years since I last rode on dirt.. The YZ has a lovely power delivery, it may not be up with a CRF, but for this 44 year old father, it's the bees knees.. Can't wait to go out again next weekend!! What a bike.. :excuseme:

• eazrider

Posted September 22, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Keep that clutch lever in case the throttle sticks....most folks never think of what happens when the throttle sticks with an auto clutch.....it's not pretty....

• Thrasherg

Posted September 25, 2008 - 12:38 PM

I have not seen any articles on the auto clutch sticking.. Is this a known issue, or are you just pointing out that it could happen?

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:11 PM

The auto clutch is engaged by centrifugal force whenever the engine speed is over the set stall speed. If the clutch is engaged when the throttle decides to stick, it will not disengage unless you do so manually. As unlikely as it is that a two cable throttle would stick, the poster's point was that if it does, and you don't have a manual override, you'll be, well, stuck. Except for the kill button.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 26, 2008 - 07:21 AM

if thats a issue i'd reccomend the pro version because after about 4-5k rpm's the old style rekluse is near impossible to override at the hand lever:thumbsup:

• Thrasherg

Posted September 26, 2008 - 12:01 PM

I must admitt I have not tried dissengaging the clutch at 5000RPM.. I rev'd the bike to around 4000RPM with the clutch lever pulled in and the bike made no attempt to move forwards.. I will try higher revs this weekend.. I also noticed that one of my throttle cables has started to freigh, so I will replace both cables before I get a stuck throttle!! and have to use the overide in a panic situation!!

• Thrasherg

Posted September 29, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Well I tried reving the engine like crazy this weekend and I could easily dissengage the clutch and engage the clutch with the engine screaming, so mine at least does NOT have a problem with engaging/disengaging when the engine is doing more than 5K RPM... Maybe the one you tried was not setup correctly? I spent the entire Saturday trail riding and playing on the MX track at Cross Creek and had a great time.. I really like the Rekluse clutch.. :lame:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.