License Plate Update: 2007 WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • Humunn

Posted September 13, 2008 - 11:44 AM

I originally went with this set up, the $8 Lowes roof vent solution as I wanted to keep the original tail light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But found I occassionally sucked the plate under when bottoming out. Fortunately the set up is flexible enough that it didn't tatter the plate. But it did torque on the blinkers and they became weak over time. Since originally installing the home made plate holder I've lowered the bike about 1" and after that began sucking the plate under more frequently. It was only a matter of time before I'd be on the trail with a lost plate and mess of broken wires.

So I upgraded to this solution. Not very expensive plus the assembly extends under the fender to add support since I carry a rear fender tool bag. I was concerned how it would look without the factory tail light but I actually like the Baja Design setup. All LED.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greg

• WR450FGreg

Posted September 13, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Man, that workshop looks cleaner than my bedroom!

Greg

• SXP

Posted September 13, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Is that the stock 07 rear fender? If so, what did you do with the threaded plastic posts that the stock light screws into? Shave them off? Can you also post a top view of the fender? Thanks.

• Humunn

Posted September 13, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Man, that workshop looks cleaner than my bedroom!

Greg

Uh, that is my bedroom...sometimes! :thumbsup:

Greg

• Humunn

Posted September 13, 2008 - 03:48 PM

Is that the stock 07 rear fender? If so, what did you do with the threaded plastic posts that the stock light screws into? Shave them off? Can you also post a top view of the fender? Thanks.

Yep, stock fender and yes I took the plunge and clipped all the posts off. No turning back!

The top view is the same as stock except where I drilled four holes to bolt the tail light to. I can still take a pic if it would help. Let me know.

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevs450F

Posted October 06, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thank's Greg, That seems to be a clean look. I just needed to see how the Baja fender mounted up, they always make products so bulky..

• Dube2

Posted October 06, 2008 - 01:02 PM

I originally went with this set up, the $8 Lowes roof vent solution as I wanted to keep the original tail light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But found I occassionally sucked the plate under when bottoming out. Fortunately the set up is flexible enough that it didn't tatter the plate. But it did torque on the blinkers and they became weak over time. Since originally installing the home made plate holder I've lowered the bike about 1" and after that began sucking the plate under more frequently. It was only a matter of time before I'd be on the trail with a lost plate and mess of broken wires.

So I upgraded to this solution. Not very expensive plus the assembly extends under the fender to add support since I carry a rear fender tool bag. I was concerned how it would look without the factory tail light but I actually like the Baja Design setup. All LED.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greg

Hey Greg, nice bike and hard work always pay off.

However........... You'll need to move your rear blinkers due to the exhaust melting the one on the right. Been there, done that. I made a some-what decent bracket that bolted to the top on my fender whare the BD bolts are and mounted them to that. 1.5" away from the hot exhaust and a little more safer from falls. Or just get those small surface mount LED blinkers that could be mounted high up towards the front of the fender and forget about them.

Just my $.02

• Humunn

Posted October 06, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hey Greg, nice bike and hard work always pay off.

However........... You'll need to move your rear blinkers due to the exhaust melting the one on the right. Been there, done that. I made a some-what decent bracket that bolted to the top on my fender whare the BD bolts are and mounted them to that. 1.5" away from the hot exhaust and a little more safer from falls. Or just get those small surface mount LED blinkers that could be mounted high up towards the front of the fender and forget about them.

Just my $.02

It's a bit of an optical illusion. They are mounted about where my old ones were. Been riding with them for days and not a hint of meltdown. I looked at the flush mounts but these were sizing down from my originals and are still DOT approved.

• skyrider1977

Posted October 08, 2008 - 11:45 PM

It's a bit of an optical illusion. They are mounted about where my old ones were. Been riding with them for days and not a hint of meltdown. I looked at the flush mounts but these were sizing down from my originals and are still DOT approved.

where did you get these blinkers? i am looking for DOT blinkers to street legal my bike. thanks :lame:

• Humunn

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:52 AM

where did you get these blinkers? i am looking for DOT blinkers to street legal my bike. thanks :lame:

Baja Designs. I just PMd you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.