'06 YZ450 OEM Sprocket Sizes

2 replies to this topic
  • jschwalbe

Posted September 13, 2008 - 08:58 AM

I've received some conflicting information concerning the stock sprocket sizes on my '06 YZ450. The owner's manual indicates that the "secondary reduction" is a 49/13. When checking some of the after market mfgs - they've indicated everything from 13 - 14 in the front and 49 - 51 in the rear. I'm happy with the current ratio - so I'm looking to stay the same. Can someone please confirm that I should go with the 49 in the rear and 13 in the front? Thanks...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2008 - 09:26 AM

The mausl will be more accurate than any information you would get form the after market in most cases, as they may be referring to a different year model, which would be geared differently dur to changes in the primary reduction ratio.

In any event, you can simply count out the gearing you have now and duplicate it.

Stock gearing is indeed 49/13 (3.77:1), and that's what I run on my own, currently. My son prefers the 48/13 (3.69:1) on his bike, and I may go that way, also, since I ride mostly desert.

How you should gear the bike depends on a number of things. A lot of guys used to drop the gearing of the 4 speeds by adding a tooth to the rear, but quite a few people who have done this to an '06 have reverted to the original 49/13.

• jschwalbe

Posted September 13, 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Gray - much appreciated...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.