'klunk' sound from rear linkage when weight off

5 replies to this topic
  • init ref

Posted September 12, 2008 - 03:45 PM

When I hoist the bike up onto the stand or remove all weight from the rear it makes a bad sound. Kind of a 'your linkage bearings are shot and have free play' sound. Not positive it's coming from the linkage but from the amount of posts this area seems to be problematic in these bikes. 06WR450, have never checked or greased or really paid that much attention to the rear of the bike (unless it's trying to pass me in the air).

I'll pull it apart and check, but if the bearings are goners are the bearing replacement kits sold by MSR a good solution? Does Yamaha or any aftermarket company sell a complete rear linkage to just replace it with?

Any insights appreciated.

• WR450FGreg

Posted September 12, 2008 - 06:33 PM

If it's any consolation, my '08 WR450F has made that clunk from new.

I checked it out as closely as I could and I couldn't tell where it was coming from.
I suspect an overly soft top-out spring (mechanism) in the shock or something.

I've stopped worrying about it!

If/when I need to replace bearings I'll be trying my local bearing shop before buying any special kits. They will be a lot cheaper.

Greg

• YamaLink

Posted September 12, 2008 - 06:38 PM

That sound, for me at least, is always the lower shock mount bearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:48 PM

That sound, for me at least, is always the lower shock mount bearing.

+1 I have replaced mine also.

• 2grimjim

Posted September 13, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I'll pull it apart and check, but if the bearings are goners are the bearing replacement kits sold by MSR a good solution? Does Yamaha or any aftermarket company sell a complete rear linkage to just replace it with?

The last time I purchased a set of linkage bearings from MSR (and All Balls as well) they were crappy chinese junk. Choke down the cash and buy replacement bearings from Yamaha.

• init ref

Posted September 19, 2008 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info, and I'll check/replace the bearing(s).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.