My 426 Tranny!

7 replies to this topic
  • BRY_426F_

Posted September 12, 2008 - 01:48 PM

So I went to the dunes for labor day weekend, that was wicked. the second day after wasting banshees my bike starts making a funny sound. I took it in to the yamaha dealer here local in provo, ut. They are telling me it is in the tranny and they want to split the cases and everything is going to cost around 1800.... shit thats almost what i paid for the bike.. and well im gonna go home and tear that damn motor apart. does anyone have any suggestions/ hints as to finding out what exactly in there is wrong.. or should i just buy a new (used) bottom end? as of my plans now.. I'm gonna go home tear my motor out, take the head off and start the splitting process.. any help is greatly appreciated

• hillclimb426

Posted September 12, 2008 - 03:33 PM

put your bike on the stand and turn the back wheel in each gear.that will tell you if its the gears.do the work yourself and get your parts off oem thumper talk.

• fritzelman

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Need a little more info then "a funny sound". Did it jolt in and out of gear? stutter, wobble, or just plain explode and dynamite the case?

Splitting the cases and looking at the transmission isn't that hard really. If you can put a new piston in yourself, you can do the bottom end. Get a factory manual (theres one online here somewhere, see if I can dig it up tomarrow) and follow it. Make sure you have enough jars to put your parts in. Shoot me an email if you have any questions or Grayracer, he really knows his stuff about those bikes.

• NortonMoto

Posted September 12, 2008 - 09:32 PM

If it needs close to 1800 worth of parts and labor. Part bike out craigslist & Ebay!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzbro

Posted September 12, 2008 - 09:55 PM

My 2000 YZ250 had tranny problems that would end up costing me about $1800. So I just bought a 2004 KX250 for $1300, and am going to part it out.

• BRY_426F_

Posted September 13, 2008 - 09:18 AM

i WENT AND PICKED MY BIKE UP YESTERDAY, i got it back with the case covers off.. the valve cover off, and i think if i dont take it back to the shop ill get all my parts back in a cardboard box. it turns out my main drive crank (crank #2) on the outside it has a tooth or two broken off and the litle pieces have made their way inside my bottom end.. i decided im gonna tear the motor out and take that in. so i can get it all back together with a fresh top end and all that good stuff :thumbsup:

• BRY_426F_

Posted September 13, 2008 - 11:39 AM

I am wondering if i should go all out on this rebuild. I was just pricing out high compression pistons, hot cams... I also plan to put lights on my yz. I have my wr stator but havent installed it.anyone know if i will hit any problems? I work in a kawi suzu and ducati dealership.. so i get wicked cost pricing out of WPS tucker,and Parts unlimited.. so if someone gives me some good ideas i might be well off on building a great bike

• tnl

Posted September 13, 2008 - 01:51 PM

One of the unknowns with taking it to a dealer/shop is that it might need more work than what they quoted you. Once they pull everything apart they might want to replace other components that are out of spec which is what happened to me. If I didn't get those other parts replaced then they wouldn't give me a full warranty on their work. Didn't make sense to just replace a main bearing and not put a new top end in etc. $1800 to fix a minimum problem and ignoring other out of spec items is risky. So, if your on a budget beware of the possibility of having other costly repairs while taking it to a reputable dealer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.