WR weight loss, how to guide.

7 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted September 12, 2008 - 11:39 AM

I want to make my WR lighter, its a 04 but i am sure the steel frame bikes will all benefit from the same mods and the alloy frame ones will be quite similar.

I need to keep the lights and speedo (to be road legal) but not too fussed about the E-Start.

So far I can think of -

Battery, starter and all other assoiated parts.
Coolant bottle.
Side stand.

What else can i rip off that will make the bike lighter and perform better? I dont want to go crazy and spend a fortune (or i would just buy a YZ) so I will only do cheapish mods.

Currently my bike has all the free mods, a full FMF exhaust and Jd jet kit installed so the engine is powerful enough but it would be nicer if it was lighter.

• Cracker_Box

Posted September 12, 2008 - 12:18 PM

you are on the wrong track of trying to lighten theload of the pig. I used to have a crf450x and a few of my buddies had wr450's. WE were all able to lighten the load between 50-60 pounds by buying yz250's. The only thing that the 450x could do better than my two stroke was to drain my pocket book faster.

• Bosco83

Posted September 12, 2008 - 04:04 PM

Sounds like you have everything covered but I wouldn't take off the side stand for a street legal bike.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted September 13, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Change the stock rear fender for a YZ style fender which is about 1/2 the weight and switch to a cheap LED taillight. Run an 100 size rear tire instead of a 110 or 120. Less rubber will make the tire lighter. Swap the stock upper and lower steering clamps for lighter weight aluminum ones such as Applied Racing clamps which are sort of cheap. Change the stock fork and rear shock springs to titanium springs such as ones that come stock on YZ's. If you run an aluminum skid plate then switch over to a Hyde Racing teflon polymer skid plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 13, 2008 - 08:50 PM

Change the stock rear fender for a YZ style fender which is about 1/2 the weight and switch to a cheap LED taillight. Run an 100 size rear tire instead of a 110 or 120. Less rubber will make the tire lighter. Swap the stock upper and lower steering clamps for lighter weight aluminum ones such as Applied Racing clamps which are sort of cheap. Change the stock fork and rear shock springs to titanium springs such as ones that come stock on YZ's. If you run an aluminum skid plate then switch over to a Hyde Racing teflon polymer skid plate.

Any when you are done doing all of that, it will be lighter on the scale, but still a heavy pig!

Its a great bike. Its heavy but very stable on the trails. Its kinda like driving a suburban as opposed to a porsche. The suburban has excellent speed and acelleration, but rides really really smooth because of the weight. The WR wouldn't be a WR without a little extra weight. Personally, I have come to appreciate what the WR is for. I also appreciate my suburban.

Two things will make the wr feel a lot lighter. SUSPENSION. Get the bike setup properly and get the geometry right. Take it to a pro and have them do this for you. TEADMILL. Buy one and start using it 2-3 time per week for 45 minutes. I did this also and addressed the biggest weight issuse (my gut!)

Did you read the suggestion about the yz250? I did that also. It was very cheap to buy and is very cheap to maintain.

• AFJ7732W

Posted September 14, 2008 - 04:24 AM

You'll mutilate your bike, then the only thing you'll really notice is that it's a pain to start, it's a pain to park and it'll leak coolant. It won't rode any differently, won't be any faster. Just run a half tank of fuel. Much easier. It's a 450. Deal with it.

Or get the 250. But then you'll need more power.

Ride a streetbike for a while. Then hop on your 450. It'll feel like a twig.

• fleshwoundracing

Posted September 14, 2008 - 06:00 PM

carbon fiber may be your best friend

• Birdy426

Posted September 15, 2008 - 01:20 AM

As others have said, you ain't gonna get the weight down to 250 like...and even if you did, all of the inertia of the big 450 motor spinning around will make it feel heavy. The YZ rear fender and an aftermarket headlight will cost about 200 bux and save about 2 lbs (but will look lots better). Swap the stock odo for a vapor, again about 200 bux and 1/2 pound or less. Lower the radiators...this is actually a pretty good mod...while it doesn't save any weight, it feels lighter cuz the weight's lower. Run a Zip Ty racing tank...holds the fuel as low as you possibly can...and then only fill it half full. Be preparred, though, even after spending all that bank, the bike won't feel a whole lot different. Maurice is righ on the money...lose your body weight if you need to (I know I do!!!) and do strength training (I know I need to!!!) and the weight won't matter as much.

While I would like to have the option of a flickable YZ250 pinger for off road, momma insists that one bike is almost 1 too many, so I'm not giving up on the DS's 426. I am improving myself (very slowly, as I'm freakin old) instead...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.