chain tensioning

3 replies to this topic
  • sarkmych

Posted September 12, 2008 - 10:06 AM

I am replacing my sprockets and chain and I adjust chain tension as it says in the manual to 48-58mm (1.9-2.3"). I just read an article in dirtrider magazine where a race mechanic adjusted the tension to 1/4-1/2" slack with the rear shock compressed to the tightest point of chain tension. i.e where the sprockets and swingarm link line up. It seems to me that it is too tight. Is that for race bikes only?

• SXP

Posted September 12, 2008 - 10:39 AM

I am replacing my sprockets and chain and I adjust chain tension as it says in the manual to 48-58mm (1.9-2.3"). I just read an article in dirtrider magazine where a race mechanic adjusted the tension to 1/4-1/2" slack with the rear shock compressed to the tightest point of chain tension. i.e where the sprockets and swingarm link line up. It seems to me that it is too tight. Is that for race bikes only?

The 1.9-2.3" you quoted is with the bike on a center stand with the rear wheel off the ground. This will roughly translate to the same 1/4-1/2" slack with the centers of the axle and sprocket in a horizontal line (tightest point).

Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sarkmych

Posted September 12, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Ahhh I see, that makes more sense. I forgot to take that into consideration. Thanks alot!!

• SXP

Posted September 12, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Ahhh I see, that makes more sense. I forgot to take that into consideration. Thanks alot!!

:thumbsup: :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.