YZ426F cam replacement

10 replies to this topic
  • herm5877

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Is the exhaust cam upgrade worth the cash? Will the auto-decomp. do away with the lever on the bars? Will I need the installation kit. it adds $125.00 and can this cam be put in without it? Also, is the acc. pump cover a good upgrade too, the makers of them say alot about what all this part will do, but are they just selling parts? Any help will be welcomed as I have just bought this bike and don't know more than what I see on the web. It runs great & rides great too,I just plan on some upgrades and want to spend wisely.

• curthall11

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I put in the Hot Cam's exhaust cam and love it. Mine start's on the first kick every time even if it has been sitting for a week. I didn't use the installation kit. All I did was put it in and then checked the valve clearances then went to the dealer and got the correct size of valve shims. You then can get rid of the decomp. lever but you will need to put a plug into it's place that you can get at the TT store. I haven't put the acc. pump cover upgrade on my bike and I have a 2000 426. I don't see the need for it cause I don't have a bog when I give it full throttle.

• grayracer513

Posted September 12, 2008 - 04:40 AM

The plug you mentioned is no longer sold at TT. You can find them on eBay, though, or you can cut the inboard, half-round extension off of the decomp shaft, cut the lever off of it, and use that, or, use an 18mm "freeze plug" (expansion plug) from an auto parts store.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 12, 2008 - 04:49 AM

I put in the Hot Cam's exhaust cam and love it. Mine start's on the first kick every time even if it has been sitting for a week. I didn't use the installation kit. All I did was put it in and then checked the valve clearances then went to the dealer and got the correct size of valve shims. You then can get rid of the decomp. lever but you will need to put a plug into it's place that you can get at the TT store. I haven't put the acc. pump cover upgrade on my bike and I have a 2000 426. I don't see the need for it cause I don't have a bog when I give it full throttle.

I also did the cam swap with out a kit. I bought the oem cam. It was my first experience with the yz motor and was not hard at all. Get your tools together, and do it...totally worth it.

• rec_rider

Posted September 12, 2008 - 01:15 PM

I put a hotcam cam in mine as well but didn't put in a plug. I took off the lever but left the old shaft in place. The spring keeps the decomp from working. I suppose some might think it looks better to remove it and use a plug but mechanically it doesn't matter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 16, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I put a hotcam cam in mine as well but didn't put in a plug. I took off the lever but left the old shaft in place. The spring keeps the decomp from working. I suppose some might think it looks better to remove it and use a plug but mechanically it doesn't matter.

I did that as well but I was told by I think grey that it can eventually get in the way of shimming valves. I just took mine out last night and used a 18mm freeze plug to cork it up.

• spc mike

Posted September 16, 2008 - 12:47 PM

I did that as well but I was told by I think grey that it can eventually get in the way of shimming valves. I just took mine out last night and used a 18mm freeze plug to cork it up.

Thats why you cut off the half moon shaped lobe that goes over the shim bucket.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thats why you cut off the half moon shaped lobe that goes over the shim bucket.

In fact, if you use your imagination, you can make a fairly good looking "plug" out of the original shaft.

• scottfly30

Posted September 17, 2008 - 04:01 AM

Ill be doing this shortly when my cam arrives. Just picked a brand new cam up off of ebay for 30 dollars. So I am ahead in price wise so far.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 17, 2008 - 05:11 AM

The 450 cam or any auto decomp cam is money well spent on a 426 for sure. I had an OEM YZ 450 cam in my old 00 and I felt like it was the best mod I had done to my bike dollar for dollar. I wouldn't waste money on an install kit- just check the clearances with the new cam in and get the proper shims from your dealer. My dealer even took my old shims and swapped them for what I needed at no charge.

• cufd430lt

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:23 AM

If it cost 250 it would still be worth it, i did mine as soon as i discovered the 03 cam would fit, 5 years on the same cam without a single problem...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.