08-09 yz40f power

8 replies to this topic
  • invol2ver

Posted September 11, 2008 - 04:05 PM

are the new yz's really that slow compared to the others? what's holding them back? i'm torn on which 450 to pick up?

• fastmq

Posted September 11, 2008 - 04:43 PM

u just picked up a 08 yz450 coming from a 05 crf 450 and i can ride this one longer it doesn't have the hit but it still a 450 you have power when you need it, I'm probably faster on the yz and more comfortable and if you need more just change the pipe with a less restrictive one. o get the 08 save some money, i hope this helps .

• Quack

Posted September 11, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Where are you at in Wisconsin? If you are close I would let you try my 07 I know you can still find a few of them floating around.

• motoscotty

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Ok here is my input, last year I had the chance to spend about 3 or 4 hours on each 450. hon,yam,suz,kaw and the ktm. Yes you are correct the other 450's are far more powerful without a doubt.At both tracks we rode at over the three days I had this chance of a lifetime my lap times were the fastest on the two slowest feeling bikes,the suz. and the yam.At comp. edge my fastest laps were on the yamaha.Simply because it is mild on the power and allows you to ride on the power.With a little work as I have done on my 09 yam it is very crisp and responsive but not making it to powerful.I will say the Honda is the fastest bike I have ever been on but almost unable to stay in control.Mild power can be a really good thing.Just thought I would share that with you.I am hoping to get invited again this year,I will let you know..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • invol2ver

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:51 PM

when you rode them what did you think of the kawi

• invol2ver

Posted September 11, 2008 - 08:01 PM

also what can you do to the yamaha to provide more power and a harder hit down low?

• motoscotty

Posted September 11, 2008 - 08:33 PM

The kawi from what I recall was super hard hitting power not quite like the crf but did not handle the greatest.

As for the yam. the 09 is alot like the 08 out here I have gone to a 170 main stock needle and clip and a 48 pilot that made a big improvement and the ap mod that I had done cleaned it up from there very very crisp instant response
Not sure how that jetting will work for you but that is the ticket most of it is in the carb.

• KJ790

Posted September 11, 2008 - 09:19 PM

also what can you do to the yamaha to provide more power and a harder hit down low?

Change the exhaust, the stock exhaust is what holds the bike back. Really, the YZ450F is on par with the other brands power wise, it is much smoother though, so it doesn't feel like it hits as hard. A dyno shows that all the 450s are fairly equal for power. Look at any test done with lap times, they will always say the YZ feels gutless, yet the lap times are always the fastest on the YZ.

• motoscotty

Posted September 12, 2008 - 10:06 PM

[quote name='KJ790']Change the exhaust, the stock exhaust is what holds the bike back.

My bad I forgot that part,I have a dubach exh. I have put on also that has helped out to..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.