Do frame guards exist for an 08 YZ450F?

18 replies to this topic
  • Matt_W

Posted September 11, 2008 - 02:58 PM

When I search for my model on Works Connection's web site there are no frame guards listed, just a rear master cylinder guard. I went through all the model years and it looks like the last frame guards they made for a YZ450F were for the old steel frames.

I'd even take plastic frame guards if they exist. I can't use carbon fibre because I've learned with my riding position/style, my boots wear through the carbon fibre within a few rides.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes frame guards for an 08 YZ450F?

• Matt_W

Posted September 11, 2008 - 03:18 PM

**UPDATE**

While kicking around the interweb, I found these on Yamaha-motor.co.uk

http://www.yamaha-mo...YMF-45145-00-06

I looked on the Yamaha motor USA website, but this part doesn't exist there. So I called my local Yamaha dealer and asked them if they can find Part # YFM-45145-00-06 and it doesn't exist in their system!?? Why can the Brits get this part but we can't in the U.S? I did the currency conversion of 61.99 bLP, and it comes out to $108.00 U.S. dollar, ouch !!!

• KJ790

Posted September 11, 2008 - 03:19 PM

I don't know of any aluminum guards. I have seen some plastic ones, but can't think of who made them at the moment. There really isn't a need for frame guards on an aluminum framed bike, as they really just keep the paint on frames from looking bad, which obviously isn't an issue with the aluminum frame.

• BlackT5

Posted September 11, 2008 - 03:34 PM

Lightspeed has carbon ones. I have them on my bike.

• swatdoc

Posted September 11, 2008 - 10:44 PM

hyde racing makes polymer frame protectors. They cover the entire main side spare of the frame.

• mywifefarts

Posted October 26, 2008 - 08:23 AM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm wondering should we be concerned about actually rubbing away frame material? I don't know if anyone else can relate but in my case the inside of my tech 10's are made of some type of plastic and are constantly leaving black all over my frame. It looks horrible!

• KJ790

Posted October 26, 2008 - 07:09 PM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm wondering should we be concerned about actually rubbing away frame material? I don't know if anyone else can relate but in my case the inside of my tech 10's are made of some type of plastic and are constantly leaving black all over my frame. It looks horrible!

Unless your boots are made of steel or something harder than the aluminum, you don't have to worry. The frame is more than thick enough there. The black is a combination of dirt and aluminum from rubbing together and actually beginning to "polish" the frame. An SOS pad will make the frame look brand new again.

• motox88

Posted November 09, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I use grip tape. Saves weight and its cheap. I bought a 4ft roll off of ebay for $4. They sell it @ Sports Authority too.

my .02

Posted Image

• Drav

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:36 AM

Grip tape is a $4 way to ruin $300+ boots

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qwik12beat

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Lightspeed has carbon ones. I have them on my bike.

Any info on how the lightspeed guards fit?I was wanting to pick some up, but i was afraid they would be bulky, and not be tight to the frame.

• Matt_W

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Actually, I ended up finding these on eBay > http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=120318072662

Although this item as ended and I don't see any new items for the same model/year, they're out on eBay all the time. They're plastic made to look like carbon fibre. They're made and shipped from the UK. I like the looks of them and think they'll do just as good as metal frame guards. I've not bought these yet, but I plan to do so.

Believe me, plastic can eat away at aluminum over time. Ask anyone who has ever owned an aluminum framed Honda. My old CRF450 radiator shrouds sat right against the frame and after a year of riding, I noticed the plastic radiator shrouds put a 1 mm deep gouge in the frame from the constant rubbing and vibrating.

• motox88

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Grip tape is a $4 way to ruin $300+ boots

Depends on your riding style I suppose, but no complaints here.

• bustersat

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Did you ever think to use stomp grip? Pretty tough stuff and provides awesome grip without tearing up boots, pants or anything else. They make universal sheets pretty big that you cut to size and one sheet should last three or four applications to the frame.

• MX926

Posted November 11, 2008 - 08:46 AM

A simple sanding pad, or a stiff brillo pad will clean that frame up in no time. I wear Sidi Force SRS boots and yes my frame gets all black as well. But it cleans up in no time at all.

• Matt Tiede

Posted November 11, 2008 - 02:43 PM

When I search for my model on Works Connection's web site there are no frame guards listed, just a rear master cylinder guard. I went through all the model years and it looks like the last frame guards they made for a YZ450F were for the old steel frames.

I'd even take plastic frame guards if they exist. I can't use carbon fibre because I've learned with my riding position/style, my boots wear through the carbon fibre within a few rides.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes frame guards for an 08 YZ450F?

kinda pricey but good...

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=353

• mywifefarts

Posted November 11, 2008 - 03:21 PM

I too am leaning towards some type of frame guards. Ihave been lightly using a scotch brite pad to clean up my frame when I wash my bike. My concern though is that anything abrasive like that used enough times might start to take away frame material. Yes, No? After all it is a form of aluminum. Just a thought.:worthy:

• KJ790

Posted November 11, 2008 - 06:11 PM

I too am leaning towards some type of frame guards. Ihave been lightly using a scotch brite pad to clean up my frame when I wash my bike. My concern though is that anything abrasive like that used enough times might start to take away frame material. Yes, No? After all it is a form of aluminum. Just a thought.:thumbsup:

Your boots remove way more material from the frame than you do when you scrub the frame clean (unless you are using a power sander each time you wash your bike). The frame is thick enough that any material removed from normal cleaning is negligible.

• MaddogYZ

Posted November 13, 2008 - 07:02 AM

I agree, any wearing away of the alluminum would be tiny, over the course of several years a riding maybe a couple thousandths of an inch.

• todds924

Posted November 13, 2008 - 07:24 PM

Any info on how the lightspeed guards fit?I was wanting to pick some up, but i was afraid they would be bulky, and not be tight to the frame.

They are quality.fit nice and tight to the frame. Kinda expensive though. They look bad ass

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.