Lack of power

2 replies to this topic
  • cjohnson

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:43 PM

I'm looking for help with my 02 WR426.My bike has about 450 miles on it. About the last 150 miles or so, I started to notice a crackling exhaust sound (like a small backfire). At the same time I have been loosing power,and throttle response. If I crack the throttle quick at a idle it will usally fall on its face. I live in Michigan, the temp.here is about 75 degrees the humidity is about 60-70%. My carb settings are mj 160, I raised the needle clip 1, pilot 42, pilot adj. 1 5/8. My mods are air snorkel removed,FMF Q silencer,and cut the throttle stop. I just did a plug check and it was black with a white tip on the electrode.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racemile

Posted June 17, 2002 - 04:35 PM

Did you make these changes before or after the weather started getting warmer?

Race

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 17, 2002 - 05:43 PM

First question: you raised the needle or the clip? (Raised needle= richer, Raised clip = leaner)

From what you posted about your jetting, it looks like you could be pretty close to spot on. I noticed that the closer I get to ideal jetting, the more my bike responds to slight changes in conditions. I've had to lean out my jetting a little every few weeks as the weather down here in Florida gets hotter and more humid. If youre plug is black, then it's too rich. Lean it out a little and I'd bet your problems go away. Mine was doing the exact same thing as yours a few weeks ago. I lowered the needle 1 clip and went from a 158 to a 155 MJ. Cleared it right up. It's gotten more humid since then and I'm going to lean it out a little more before the next ride.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.