Am I the only one that is fed up with bike weights...

6 replies to this topic
  • Mr_Toyz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:24 PM

I am so damn tired of hearing this bike weighs 221 dry, 232 oil no gas, this bike weighs 265 with gas and oil...

DAMNIT MAN! Just give us the TRUE weight with oil and no gas. That way we could compare apples to apples. The oil and engine fluids dont change the fuel weight does... Just give a wet weight w/o gas!!!!!

I never know who to believe the mags the companies, my fellow TTers. (Y&)(&*!^)*&%(#^!!!!

Mr Toyz

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: Mr Toyz ]

• SUnruh

Posted June 14, 2002 - 02:04 PM

here is the problem:

how much fork oil do i put in?
does 55cc in a showa fork equal 90mm in a kyb?
see the problem?

how much coolant do i put in?

do i put any in the overflow bottle?

how much oil in the crankcase or transmission?

do you fill the cells in the battery all the way up or not?

these are all areas where a company could (and probably would) cheat to say their bike weighs less.

so, by saying dry weight. there is less cheating.
or so we would hope.
however, most of these companies tend to weigh their bike on the moon. :)

• Mr_Toyz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:22 PM

Exactly my point. Hense my frustration...

Like I said "I am so damn tired of hearing this bike weighs 221 dry, 232 oil no gas, this bike weighs 265 with gas and oil...
DAMNIT MAN! Just give us the TRUE weight with oil and no gas. That way we could compare apples to apples. The oil and engine fluids dont change the fuel weight does... Just give a wet weight w/o gas!!!!!"

Key word; TRUE!!!!

ARGGHGHG! All fluid levels have a full level, thats where they should be...opperative word "should" :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_UK

Posted June 14, 2002 - 10:19 PM

THE BEST INDICATOR IS TO GO TO THE DEALER
lay the bike on its side then lift it up off the floor [ as though you'd dropped it in a race ]

that way you get a feel for the wieght that matters the wieght high up on the bike,
some heavy bikes feel light to ride cus they carry there mass low down

my yz400 feels heavier then a xr400 cus it carrys more wieght up high,, despite being a lighter bike

• skippy

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:35 PM

If wieght is so important to you why dont you do what i do. I dont wear any riden gear at all. This includes everythink except for underpants & sunglass's. 7kg saveing.
Next i remove all the plastics except for the fuel tank & seat. 2.5 kg saveing.
Then i get a knife & remove all the knobs off both tyres. 1 kg saveing.
I only use 800ml of engine oil instead of 1.7ltr's. With no oil filter. .9 kg saveing.
As you can see i have saved 11.4 kg's.
Now all i have to do is lose 15 kg's of fat from all the take away i eat.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted June 15, 2002 - 04:48 AM

Hey skippy...you like peanut butter?

Have a great day guys...

Mr Toyz

• Taffy

Posted June 15, 2002 - 09:29 PM

i went to my mates yard this morning where he weighs each bale of compacted paper before putting it on the lorry.

when i took my '99 Wr there last year it weighed 272LB's after i took the fuel out of the equation. the bike had bark busters, fat bars, std SILENCER and 3.1 gal tank. i can't think of anthing else.

anyway it was the weight that made me sell it and when i took the husey in it weighed 249LB's w/o fuel. 33LB's is a lot of weight to save. it has no sump guard but i've put a panoram on, and completely removed the kickstart mechanism and it was filthy, not muddy.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.