Lift kits affect on MPG

64 replies to this topic
  • Hondapwns

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:09 PM

I searched and couldn't find it on here

how much MPG do you lose when you install say, a 2 inch lift on a truck?

just wondering, thanks

• Nosebag

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:15 PM

There are too many variables. You wont ever get a solid answer unless you do it. Things like tire size, type of engine, type of truck, gearing... all come into play. A loss of 2-3 mpg is a reasonable expectation.

• YFZ450_725

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:28 PM

I lifted my Ram (5.9L, 3.5 rear end). 7" total of lift and 35" tires.

Went from 15-17 stock.

To 12-14 as is. Some weeks I find I am down to 10-11 but if I take it easy I average the above.

• KX_Kyle

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:30 PM

I have a 3" lift on my 07 Tacoma. With the stock tires/wheels I havent seen any drop off on MPG.

The biggest factor is what your current tire/wheel size is, to what you want to go to after the lift.

• reed1

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:41 PM

the lift has nothing to do with gas. its all in the tires:thumbsup:

• oldmanx

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Not necessarily true. Something as minor as a 2" leveling kit will lift the front end enough to hurt aerodynamics and cost mpg.

• chrishanson

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:53 PM

i didnt lose any with 2.5"

• raiderx72

Posted September 10, 2008 - 04:45 PM

i have a 5.5 on my ram 1500 and when i have my stock tires on there is no change.. when i have the 35s there a difference.. A lift will not effect mpg anything noticeable

• reed1

Posted September 10, 2008 - 05:12 PM

i didnt lose any with 2.5"

i have a 5.5 on my ram 1500 and when i have my stock tires on there is no change.. when i have the 35s there a difference.. A lift will not effect mpg anything noticeable

thanks for backing my up guys i knew i was right haha:thumbsup:

• mxguitargod7

Posted September 10, 2008 - 05:29 PM

My buddy has a 97 f150, 3'' body lift and 35 A/t's and he gets about 10-12. Didn't get much better stock.

• Nosebag

Posted September 10, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Stick your hand out the window at 60 and tell me the wind doesn't push it back. It doesn't matter if its a body or suspension lift, you're exposing more components to oncoming air. It wont be as noticeable in a higher horsepower rig but I saw an increase of around 1.5 mpg when I went from 3" of lift down to around 1 1/2" on my Taco. My front also sits about 3/4" lower than the back.

• 2ksilverbullet

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:02 AM

I have to believe that just a lift alone would affect mpg. You're raising the truck higher and allowing more air under the truck, creating more drag.

My mpg's dropped from 13-15 to 8 on my truck with my lift. '00 F250 V10 with 37"s (6.5" lift). It was never an issue when I lifted it 7 years ago but I hardly drive it now due to gas prices. I ride my XR650L whenever I can.

• kenr74

Posted September 11, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I also noticed a difference with just a lift and stock tires on my old Exploder. Added 35" tires and that killed me. 110 miles a day at 14mpg didn't work. Had to sell it and get a Geo Metro. Very sad day.

• pfunk

Posted September 11, 2008 - 01:28 PM

I fyou have to ask, then you probably shouldnt do it,
expect 1-2 and add the tires and expect more loss

• ClayKann

Posted September 11, 2008 - 04:50 PM

You WONT ever lose mpg installing a lift kit maybe slightly cause of wind resistance. Its when you put the big tires on it you will lose your mileage.

• studboy

Posted September 11, 2008 - 06:43 PM

You WONT ever lose mpg installing a lift kit maybe slightly cause of wind resistance. Its when you put the big tires on it you will lose your mileage.

Obviously just by lifting the vehicle as you said you're going to have increased wind resistance which may not affect (without bigger tires) the gas mileage substantially at lower speeds, but at freeway speeds yeah it will make a difference.

• busted bones

Posted September 11, 2008 - 10:36 PM

I have a 3" lift on my 07 Tacoma. With the stock tires/wheels I havent seen any drop off on MPG.

The biggest factor is what your current tire/wheel size is, to what you want to go to after the lift.

NO

NO

NO

I also noticed a difference with just a lift and stock tires on my old Exploder. Added 35" tires and that killed me. 110 miles a day at 14mpg didn't work. Had to sell it and get a Geo Metro. Very sad day.

NO

I fyou have to ask, then you probably shouldnt do it,
expect 1-2 and add the tires and expect more loss

Some what no, Changing tire size DOES NOT cause a loss of mileage. The lift you could expect 1-2 mpg diff. The reason you SEEM to lose mileage with the big tires is that they are actually spinning at the same rate your stock tires were, however since the cicumfrence is bigger youre actually traveling faster at the same RPMs This means youre actually going farther than your odometer reads. You can buy some thinglike this and it will actually reset your car to read properly.

• huskyfatman

Posted September 11, 2008 - 11:15 PM

NO

NO

NO

NO

Some what no, Changing tire size DOES NOT cause a loss of mileage. The lift you could expect 1-2 mpg diff. The reason you SEEM to lose mileage with the big tires is that they are actually spinning at the same rate your stock tires were, however since the cicumfrence is bigger youre actually traveling faster at the same RPMs This means youre actually going farther than your odometer reads. You can buy some thinglike this and it will actually reset your car to read properly.

I guess at 18 years old you must have abundant experience owning and driving different vehicles?:thumbsup: Larger tires/wheels weigh much more plus they change the final drive ratio, both of which slows acceleration and lowers mpgs regardless of what the odometer reads. I've owned 6 lifted trucks that I have regeared and calibrated the speedometers and every one has gotten worse mileage. A 2 inch lift with stock tires shouldn't lower your gas mileage a significant amount. A 6 inch lift might be a different story.

• busted bones

Posted September 12, 2008 - 02:16 AM

I guess at 18 years old you must have abundant experience owning and driving different vehicles?:thumbsup: Larger tires/wheels weigh much more plus they change the final drive ratio, both of which slows acceleration and lowers mpgs regardless of what the odometer reads. I've owned 6 lifted trucks that I have regeared and calibrated the speedometers and every one has gotten worse mileage. A 2 inch lift with stock tires shouldn't lower your gas mileage a significant amount. A 6 inch lift might be a different story.

The reason your mileage went down is because more force is needed by the engine to accelerate as fast, to compensate you naturally put your foot into it more. The most you could possible lose would be .5 MPGs because of the some heavier rotating mass.

• raiderx72

Posted September 12, 2008 - 05:48 AM

NO

NO

NO

NO

Alright you are right, TECHNICALLY, but no matter if your calibrated right with a truspeed or whatever the tires are what is going to cause you to lose your MPG. I can tell you right now i have a a for explorer with a 3" body lift and stock tires and did not lose ANYTHING noticeable. A dodge ram 1500 with a 5.5 Body lift stock tires and did not lose ANYTHING noticeable. Once you put larger tires on your lose your mpg. explorer with 32s i went from 17-19 around town to 13-15 around town. the DODGE with 35s i got 18-20 on the highway down to 15-17 and around town i get avg 13. The only way to gain your mpg back is to change your stock gear ratio to a high numerically number and raise the rpms back to stock.

The funny thing is your telling all of use no that say its the tires, yet your still saying its the tires which are causing the mpg lose...:thumbsup: think about it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.