Sprocket and chain decisions

7 replies to this topic
  • sarkmych

Posted September 10, 2008 - 05:31 AM

I am looking for opinions on the Primary Drive sprocket and chain kits. I want to replace the stock ones on my 07 WR450F but aren't sure of which one to get. Should I get O-ring or X-ring chain? Steel or alloy sprockets??

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:27 AM

i would go with a good quality chain but you will be fine with primary drive steel sprokets. i have over 4000 miles on a this set up and they all look great

• SXP

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:30 AM

i would go with a good quality chain but you will be fine with primary drive steel sprokets. i have over 4000 miles on a this set up and they all look great

Agree on the PD sprockets. They weigh a ton, but last forever. BTW, the PD chains are pretty good too - again heavier than the japanese stuff, but hold up just as well and are far cheaper.

• sarkmych

Posted September 10, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the replies, one question though, X or O ring?? I heard that the X-Ring is the next generation of chain. As good as O-ring?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaddogYZ

Posted September 10, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Primary Drive sprockets are very heavy but will last very long like any other steel sprocket. Personally I think it's worth the couple extra bucks to get the Sunstar steel sprocket that is significantly lighter than the PD. Less unsprung weight, less rotating mass, less power loss, blah blah blah...not sure if I can tell the difference but what the hell :thumbsup:

• huffster

Posted September 10, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Are you riding MX or trails/cross country ? For MX, I'd stick with a NAME BRAND roller chain...DID 520ERT is hard to beat...520MX if you encounter lots of mud. Trail/cross country stuff I'd, again, stick with a name brand chain DID 520VM, EK 520SRX. The quality of chain dictates how long your sprockets will last. Buy a crappy chain and even the good sprockets go away fast, as the chain stretches.

• kskyles

Posted September 10, 2008 - 07:27 AM

I've had both x and o-ring primary drive chains, and got the same wear longevity from both. I like both products, just couldn't tell much of a difference.

For the price, the steel sprockets are great.

• sarkmych

Posted September 10, 2008 - 08:12 AM

muchos gracias amigos......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.