Purchasing a YZ 400 or 426..questions..

37 replies to this topic
  • ftheie

Posted September 09, 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hey guys and gals, my brother is in the market for a used YZ 400 or 426 (or 450 if he finds one cheap enough) I just can't convince him to get a KTM like me. HA!! What he wants to spend will likely put him in the 400-426 price range. I had a 99 YZF 400 and it was a nice bike, but, i didn't own it long enough to answer the questions he has.

What mechanical things should we be concerned about when looking at a 400/426? Anything problems that these particular models are likely to have? Areas of concern??

I really appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Thanks in advance

John

• ftheie

Posted September 10, 2008 - 11:57 AM

nuthin'?

• huffster

Posted September 10, 2008 - 12:30 PM

Don't buy a 400, regardless of price. I had 2 and they both were turds. Very hard to start, thanks to no auto-decompression device and a total pig to start once it was hot...Save your money and, at the very least, get the 426. Even better to snag an 05 CRF450 for 3200 or so !

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2008 - 12:36 PM

...Save your money and, at the very least, get the 426. Even better to snag an 05 CRF450 for 3200 or so !

That'll be the day I spend that kind of money on a sack full of grief. Unless you have some kind of connection to a parts outlet, don't even consider a CRF earlier than '06.

Speaking of '06, $3200 is what I paid for my second '06 YZ450 a year ago. In California.

But you have a point about the 426 vs the 400. I don't totally agree with your assessment of the 400, but the 426 is a better bike for roughly the same money.

• rdefonce

Posted September 10, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hey guys and gals, my brother is in the market for a used YZ 400 or 426 (or 450 if he finds one cheap enough) I just can't convince him to get a KTM like me. HA!! What he wants to spend will likely put him in the 400-426 price range. I had a 99 YZF 400 and it was a nice bike, but, i didn't own it long enough to answer the questions he has.

What mechanical things should we be concerned about when looking at a 400/426? Anything problems that these particular models are likely to have? Areas of concern??

I really appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Thanks in advance

John

Good, reliable bikes, them.
One area of concern (I have heard anyway) is where plastic chain guard can actually move around enough to wear swingarm (on top of swingarm where rubber rests on it)
I have very low hours on mine for a '99 though, no problems on mine. Still got it, only issue I sometimes have is starting, but may have a dirty jet or something. Gotta check that out.
Other than that, mine is for sale (posted here on TT) but I'm long way off in MO anyhow.
Hope your bro finds a good one.

• huffster

Posted September 10, 2008 - 12:50 PM

That'll be the day I spend that kind of money on a sack full of grief. Unless you have some kind of connection to a parts outlet, don't even consider a CRF earlier than '06.

Speaking of '06, $3200 is what I paid for my second '06 YZ450 a year ago. In California.

But you have a point about the 426 vs the 400. I don't totally agree with your assessment of the 400, but the 426 is a better bike for roughly the same money.

We are both entitled to our opinions, of course....and my 03 450 has 100+ engine hours and has never had the valves replaced or adjusted...What's wrong with that ?

• jayh300

Posted September 10, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I had a 99 yz400f and other than the initial user error/training on how to start it, I never had any problems hot or cold starting it. I put the a/d cam in it and it was even better. it was imo, just very heavy and never fit my riding style.
but as gray says, you could spend a little more money and get a newer bike.

• CrzyWhtBy

Posted September 10, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I just bought an 01 426 have not had the chance to ride it yet, hope to this weekend. Have run through the motor and suspension trying to get it ready and it seems solid.

Previously had 01 KX 250 and older xr's so I am have been pretty lucky with reliable bikes. I hope this one holds up.

• WaWaKing

Posted September 10, 2008 - 01:38 PM

I too just picked up a 2000 yz426 and had zerio issues running it all day in 90*+ heat here in the deserts of e. washington.... just learn the secret hand shake and she'll start every time!

• curthall11

Posted September 10, 2008 - 01:59 PM

I have a 2000 yz426f and I love it. I put a a/d cam in it and it starts on the first kick every time. It's bullet proof IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:43 PM

We are both entitled to our opinions, of course....and my 03 450 has 100+ engine hours and has never had the valves replaced or adjusted...What's wrong with that ?

that's awesome that your crf has been reliable.:thumbsup: sadly, lots of other people haven't been as lucky. So in light of that, why take the risk on a crf? Granted, every bike has it's risk factor, but some more than others. I for one, prefer the lower risk bikes. Just saying..... :worthy:

• rudepig

Posted September 10, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I bought a 2k 426 in June and love it! It is a heavy bike but there's plenty of power to make up for it. The only thing I did to improve the starting on mine is the "BK mod" to the carb. Look it up here on TT if your brother gets one and has a hard time starting it. When I first got mine, if I killed it warm I'd have to hold the throttle and decomp open, kick it 10 or 12 times and then try to start it. After the mod, 1 or 2 kicks every time.

• dmoney1074

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:23 PM

JD jetting is the single best mod you can do to the 400/426... those guys have it figured out.

• redneckfyrfytr

Posted September 11, 2008 - 11:13 PM

i picked up a 01 426 at the end of july and I LOVE it!!! It's got tons of power and I think it handles great. yeah the cornering isn't the best but it doesn't take much to whip it around. also... I haven't done any mods to it and it starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick when cold and once it's warm it's almost always the first kick. I don't even bother with the hot start. Yeah some say the Hot Cams add power and make it so you don't need the decomp lever anymore but honestly it doesn't bother me at all, it also acts like a security feature. I've noticed a lot of people in my town have no idea how to start a thumper. most of them get it to the compression point and can't figure out how to kick it any further to start it. Once you get the starting down... it's fun to ride. Hit the throttle and she fly's!!! I got mine for 2k and it came with plenty of extras. Honestly... I say go for a 426. All i hear is how good they are and how hard they are to kill... I love mine...

Jordan

• razornpc

Posted September 12, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Don't buy a 400, regardless of price. I had 2 and they both were turds. Very hard to start, thanks to no auto-decompression device and a total pig to start once it was hot...Save your money and, at the very least, get the 426. Even better to snag an 05 CRF450 for 3200 or so !

ok dont listen to this guy. he never learned the right way to start a 400. once you learn it they are the easiest bike ever to start!!!!!! if you flood them, shut the gas of, hold in the decomp lever and kick it about 20 times. easy. they are not low on power, mine wasnt at least, but i changed the oil every other ride and cleaned the air filter every ride. great bike mechanicly too, never had a reason to adjust the valves. they only things i didnt like about mine was they weight(270:eek: ) and the heat 4 stroke put off. great bike though, happy shopping!!!

• McCrowbar

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Go with the 426 for sure! I've owned my '01 426 for 7 years now. Absolutely bullet proof. No major repairs ever needed. This bike is just as fast as any 450. I ride with new 450's every other weekend and it will hold its own. I did not want to sell this bike when I got my new 450. I still ride it often and will never sell it. Would definitely recommend this bike to anyone.

A lot of people complain about the starting proceedure...took me an hour or less to get it down and it still starts 1st kick. Check out these links for some info on the starting proceedure. Some people say they help -

http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_a.mpg
http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_b.mpg

• tj_mx104

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:48 AM

I just got a '03 yamaha 450F for $1900 with a brand new engine, only had 30 minutes on it after it was rebuilt. its up to around 10-15 hours now, and I adjusted the valves after the first 5, i love the power and simplicity of riding it, easy bike to start with the Auto Decompression. Even for being a 2 stroke die hard, i actually love the 450F. :thumbsup:

• jbach

Posted September 12, 2008 - 09:09 AM

i had a 99 400f. probably the most bullet proff bike i have ever had. only downfalls is it can get a bit hot in extremely slow woods riding in 90 degree plus weather, and a little heavier than some bikes. starting has never been an issue for me, 1st kick every time. change the oil often and rip. great bike!!

• ftheie

Posted September 14, 2008 - 03:00 AM

Thank you for the replies!! That is good to hear that the 426's are widely considered reliable, especially when he is purchasing one used.

• ftheie

Posted September 16, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Again, thank you. My brother found a fairly low hour 2004 450F. The plastics are a bit worn, but it still has the original tires. 2K is what he paid.

Somebody mentioned that the newer bikes are easier to start than the older pre-auto decompression bikes. That is SO TRUE!! This 450 is about 90% easier to kick start than my '99 YZ 400. Not really much tougher than a hi comp 250cc stroke.

I just wish it was a 5spd, as he plans to ride it in the desert.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.