Did Honda fix the valve issues with the 09?

7 replies to this topic
  • Todd D

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

I have always loved Honda's durability but after owning an 04 and 05 with intake valve issues I was disappointed with Honda. I thought they fixed the problem but my buddy's 07 had the intakes go south at 21 hours.

The new Honda looks great and I really hope they addressed the issue. Time will tell if they fixed the problem and if so I may be in the market for another Honda!

Later!

Todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCalRider

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

For '09, Honda reduced the valve stem diameter from 5.5mm to 5.0mm, and they are running some sort of new intake valve springs to allow the engine to have a higher redline.

I assume that they're running the same valve seat material as the '06/'07/'08s. So far, I haven't read anything that mentions valve seat material.

I hope the valve issues are fixed. Every CRF I have owned has needed a valve job eventually.

• Todd D

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

For '09, Honda reduced the valve stem diameter from 5.5mm to 5.0mm, and they are running some sort of new intake valve springs to allow the engine to have a higher redline.

I assume that they're running the same valve seat material as the '06/'07/'08s. So far, I haven't read anything that mentions valve seat material.

I hope the valve issues are fixed. Every CRF I have owned has needed a valve job eventually.

I'm a vet B rider and I didn't live on the rev-limiter and I kept the filter clean and all that good stuff and I still had issues. Like I said I hope they fixed it. I got tired of it and decided to buy my kid a Cobra 50. It has been more reliable the the CRF!

They did fix their crappy suspension by going with KYB'S!

It's a good looking bike but the front fender has a Suzuki look to it.

Later!

Todd

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

yes because rather than having dirt pass through the carb it just clogs up the injector.....valves are now safe :thumbsup:

• Ron Hamp

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Using the spring and retainer that RHC and ferrea developed was a definate improvement on the 08 and early crf 450s while using the oem titanium valve mainly because of spring and retainer mass being much less .With the smaller stemed valve and likely a new engineerd spring and retainer with less mass and a better coating applyed to the valve we will see less wear.

• NorCalRider

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

Have you heard anything about the '09s having a different coating on the intake valves?

• fivepointnine

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

i dunno, my '04 has not had any major valve issues, had the valves done once after 4 years of pretty constant riding, my friends yamaha's need replacing just as much, although I am gonna upgrade my head and valves to the 06+ design next time the valves are due (looking like its gonna be a long long time since Ive been riding the KTM more)

• jgwakeup

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

too much speculation.... they just need to release them and let time tell.... 2cents..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 Honda crf450r problems by Tjcrf450r

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

TRAIL READY 13 CRF 450R? by ShazzaM

• Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

02 CRF450R Stall issue/before and after pics by T. Bruce (TB4 Motorsports)

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Identifying showa shock springs? by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

05'crf450r by tklatti

• Hot  51 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.