Stock can gets very hot....normal?

16 replies to this topic
  • 05-WR450F

Posted September 09, 2008 - 05:12 AM

I have the stock exhaust on the 05-wr450 with the exception of the Pro-Moto insert. The silencer gets very hot to the touch after riding for a while. Is this normal? I also have all the free-mods done and JD jet-kit.

I'm going to measure the temp. with an infrared thermometer this weekend and posts results.

• William1

Posted September 09, 2008 - 05:25 AM

Completely normal.

• face_plant

Posted September 09, 2008 - 06:02 AM

where is that dead horse i wanna kick it

if you are in a bind you can light your smokes off of it

• matt4x4

Posted September 09, 2008 - 08:44 AM

wow - total Beezerism!

• doctorchopper

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:06 AM

Thats normal, the exhaust gas exiting the cylinder is going to be upwrads of 1000deg so the heat has to go somewhere, the end can isn't going to be red hot but will be hot to the touch

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Last winter I was riding and touched my tongue to the exhaust. Guess what it stuck. Your can doesn't get hot if your sitting in your garage making noises like you are riding. Especially during January in Montana.:thumbsup: what?

• William1

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Wow Charles, you must be very flexible to be able to touch your can with your tounge........ What was on it to make it so sticky? I can barely reach can....... :thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:40 AM

Wow Charles, you must be very flexible to be able to touch your can with your tounge........ What was on it to make it so sticky? I can barely reach can....... :worthy:

If you could you would too :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted September 09, 2008 - 10:07 AM

You know me too well.....

• beezer

Posted September 09, 2008 - 11:54 AM

Last winter I was riding and touched my tongue to the exhaust.

Who's exhaust?

I may not want to know.

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 09, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Who's exhaust?

I may not want to know.

this is a bike section not town square. You know damn well it's a hot girls tail pipe!

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 09, 2008 - 04:01 PM

:thumbsup: :worthy:

On a serious note. If you saw the internals of the stock WR exhaust you'd understand why it gets so hot. High volume of hot air trying to get though two separate mechanical baffles. The first baffle has a tube with the diameter about the size of the PMB outlet and the second baffle has two unequal length tubes the size of the stock baffle.

• William1

Posted September 09, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Even the Yosh Ti open can I have gets incredibly hot. Baffeles just make it get scorching sooner. An hour ride, with an open pipe or one with baffles will both be about the same temp.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 09, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Even the Yosh Ti open can I have gets incredibly hot. Baffeles just make it get scorching sooner. An hour ride, with an open pipe or one with baffles will both be about the same temp.

I think that has more to do with the material of the exhaust. That yosh pipe of yours is likely made of a very thin layer of Ti. The White Bros E2 on my bike gets no where near as hot as the stock can. This includes WOT hillclimbs, 2nd gear singletrack, fireroads, hauling at a good clip on a vintage style MX track, and 3rd gear roostless wheelies like in my avatar.

weird :thumbsup:

• 05-WR450F

Posted September 10, 2008 - 04:38 AM

I opened up the exhaust to have a look. I was very surprised with what I saw. I have a Pro-Moto insert but I can't see how it would make any difference when there are baffles and that spark arrestor in the way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• beezer

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:05 AM

The best place for the stock pipe is a scrap bin.

The WB E-2's were really nice pipes but WB went out of business.

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:27 AM

The best place for the stock pipe is a scrap bin.

The WB E-2's were really nice pipes but WB went out of business.

unless you want to be hush hush and run like suck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.