WR air box is side access...

7 replies to this topic
  • Mr_Toyz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 07:42 AM

Kinda cool...to bad the YZ isnt.

I was planning on buying the YZ but, I own a WR now;

YZ tank is only 1.8 gal
WR tank is better size, 2.6 gal
Looks like the WR and YZ are finally using the same seat.
WR air box side access

Personally I'd rather have lighter weight than E start but hey...

What cha think?

Mr Toyz

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 14, 2002 - 07:47 AM

Strange that they use a different airbox for the two models. You'd think a top access airbox would be better for off-road because it seals against deep water better than side access would. I guess they have their reasons...

• mseeliger

Posted June 14, 2002 - 07:48 AM

I will pass on the YZF and buy the WRF. Time to sell my KTM 520 and buy the WR450F. I have been wanting a Yamaha with the electric start. The electric start is worth its weight in gold!

• Mud_Sweat_&_Gears

Posted June 14, 2002 - 08:58 AM

My guess for the side access to the air box is because of where they placed the battery, most likely under the seat. :D
And to my eyes, the WR's seat looks shorter (doesn't ride quite as high up on the gas tank) than the YZ's. So the hard core riders will still want the YZ's seat/tank set up. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • banffboy

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:13 PM

Hey Mud, Sweat, and Gears, those are some wicked mods you have done to that 250f :)

• mikeolichney

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:25 PM

I wonder what the actual RTR, no gas weight difference will be between the WR and YZ?

• Scott_F

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:21 AM

Mike, it will probably be at least ten pounds more than it was in '02. You will be lucky if the '03 WR weighs the same or less than the '02 WR, due to the estart and battery making up for any weight losses.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:17 PM

I agree with you Rich, I dont like the side access because of the leakage factor.

I have a friend that was at the release and he was told the 03 WR will weight the same a the 02 even with the e-start.

Mr Toyz

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.