'03 YZ450 Boggin at full throttle?

5 replies to this topic
  • tj_mx104

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:32 AM

Last Saturday, after hitting up some trials and off road riding, I loaded up my 450F and took it to the local track, after about 5 or so laps, anything past 3/4 throttle would bog and kill the bike out, it ran strong in low-mid power, but the top end would just bog! :blah:
We cleaned the air filter, checked oil, antifreeze, pulled the carb out and gave the throttle a twist and it was squirting gas out, so the bikes getting gas. Think this is a carb, accelerator pump, spark plug problem?

Anybody have any ideas what this might be? :doh:
Or if this has happened to them.

Btw, no the choke wasnt on when I was riding! :D

:thumbsup: :worthy: :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:36 AM

> Clogged air filter

> Water in the float bowl, or a bit of debris stuck in the main jet.

• tj_mx104

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:39 AM

> Clogged air filter

> Water in the float bowl, or a bit of debris stuck in the main jet.

Ok, We cleaned the air filter, but havent tore into the carb yet, It about time for me to check the valves anyway, but thanks Gray! Ill Get on that and get right back to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted September 08, 2008 - 12:54 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']> Clogged air filter

QUOTE]

He said he cleaned the air filt . . . could it be over oiled though?

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2008 - 01:02 PM

Yes, if the oil is just dumped or sprayed on, and not worked into the foam. Another possibility in that regard is that if the engine was run hard before the oil had time to "set", some of it could have been pulled out and ended up blocking the main air jet, located in the face of the carb throat.

• tj_mx104

Posted September 09, 2008 - 08:35 AM

Yes, if the oil is just dumped or sprayed on, and not worked into the foam. Another possibility in that regard is that if the engine was run hard before the oil had time to "set", some of it could have been pulled out and ended up blocking the main air jet, located in the face of the carb throat.

:thumbsup: I ALWAYS forget to let the engine wind down before i park it. So this could actually be it. How do you fix it or clean it out? And Airfilters are the one thing I've mastered :worthy: but this was happening before the air filter was cleaned, and when I pulled it, it only had a few spots on it where dirt had collected and some of the oil was still noticeable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.