i CONVERTED

21 replies to this topic
  • Se77vN

Posted September 07, 2008 - 12:36 PM

So I bought an 08 yz450f yesterday.

Kinda sad bc I sold my 03 crf450r in the morning, but was driving away from the dealership in the evening.

This is my first yz450f. I had a 1998 yz250 2-smoke before getting the honda.

My questions are:

Anything new/odd required for break in?

Anything maintenance-wise I should be aware of for the yamaha vs the honda
?

Any praises good or bad for the 2008 yz450f would be nice as well.

Thanks,

-John

• desert-rat660

Posted September 07, 2008 - 12:57 PM

i have an 06. great bike. nice purchase:thumbsup:

• jamiehughes

Posted September 07, 2008 - 03:44 PM

probably not much different except for the fact that you probably won't have to mess with the valves for quite some time...

• Se77vN

Posted September 08, 2008 - 07:22 AM

probably not much different except for the fact that you probably won't have to mess with the valves for quite some time...

Nice, im stoked about that!! I had to re-shim my honda twice before I sold it, and only had it for 8 months.

So how long before these typically need adjustment?

How long can I expect the top end to hod up?

What oil do I use? ( I had been using Shell Rotella in the honda in both sides)

How long between oil/filter changes?

I live in NM, weather is always around 75-95F I mostly ride desert, lots of sand, and hills. Sometimes we go to the mountains, but a majority of the time is in the desert stuff.

I know to always keep the air filter clean, and oil clean. I was changin oil every 4 hours in my honda for both sides.

Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

• mazzuca21366

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:06 AM

Theres a sticky at the top of the page. I just bought a 2008 yz450f also. Have only ridden it for 6 hours so far. Bike is killer. Had a 2005 yz250f. The bike was fast but nothing like the 450f. Enjoy and change the oil every 5 hours!

• nap__kxf

Posted September 08, 2008 - 04:20 PM

if you ride in alot of dunes type sand or just deep sand in general make sure you either re-route the valve breather hose to your airbox or attach a filter to the end, it can turn into a vaccuum and suck up sand into your engine, there are some horror stories about that on here.

• ZMoney520

Posted September 08, 2008 - 04:48 PM

Throw a DR D exhaust on it. It really wakes it up.

• Whyzee429

Posted September 08, 2008 - 07:58 PM

if you ride in alot of dunes type sand or just deep sand in general make sure you either re-route the valve breather hose to your airbox or attach a filter to the end, it can turn into a vaccuum and suck up sand into your engine, there are some horror stories about that on here.

I've heard that it does and doesn't. All I know it that the air from the tip of the hose pulses so it would be hard for dirt/dust to travel UP 20 inches of hose. I've had dirt in my engine, A lot of it....it got past a poorly sealed air filter :worthy: Either way, the Yami held up. The engine was cleaned, it has 70 hours on it, valves are still in spec too (never been adjusted) You'll love the bike....virtually bulletproof. (knock on wood) :thumbsup:

• hillclimbguy

Posted September 09, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Good bikes. My son and I have two 06 450s. No major problem with them. Valves have been checked but never had to be adjusted. We stay on top of oil changes and filter changes. We too have routed the oil vent line into the air box with filters on them. You made a good choice going blue.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 09, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Big difference in maintenance...The Honda separates gear oil from engine oil...The yami shares oil...You'll need to change more often since you don't want clutch/gear wear ending up in your top end...Amsoil seems to be the most recommended as it holds up better in the tranny than most of the other "engine" oils...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted September 09, 2008 - 02:12 PM

i use mobile 1 4t and i change it every 3 hours

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2008 - 03:16 PM

You can do that, but 3 hours on M1 4T is overkill. Mobil1 4T is on a par with Amsoil MCF with regards to shear stability and viscosity retention in engine/trans applications, and you should be able to go a routine of 3 ride days, up to an 8-10 hour max, with it.

It's an excellent oil, and I was using it until I discovered MCV.

• Se77vN

Posted September 09, 2008 - 08:04 PM

You can do that, but 3 hours on M1 4T is overkill. Mobil1 4T is on a par with Amsoil MCF with regards to shear stability and viscosity retention in engine/trans applications, and you should be able to go a routine of 3 ride days, up to an 8-10 hour max, with it.

It's an excellent oil, and I was using it until I discovered MCV.

:busted: :blah: Thank you for the solid advice!! That is really the question I was wondering.

It's gonna be nice not having to change two sides. But I dont know where I can find amsoil in NM. KInda lame. I guess I will have to look for the mobil.

Thanks for your all help. !!:thumbsup: :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2008 - 08:46 PM

I dont know where I can find amsoil in NM.

I find it on my doorstep.

http://www.amsoil.co...nt/default.aspx

• WR250F Captain

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:49 PM

I find it in my friends back yard, he's a dealer, and has boxes of the stuff.

bel-ray is another good oil.

but the ams cooled down my engine, made the clutch seem smoother, and we cleaner when it came out.

out of all the 3rd party comparisons i've seen with all the top end oils vs amsoil, only 1 oil beat it in 1 category

bel-ray's Harley Davidson oil. other than that, its the original and best full synthetic out there

I remember cheering on the Lucas truck though, when it was fighting off the AMSoil truck at the CORR race in pomona

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted September 10, 2008 - 04:13 AM

Don' forget to change the front tire to something nice to improve the front end sticking in cormers.

• Se77vN

Posted September 10, 2008 - 07:21 AM

SHould I be using the 20-50 stuff??

So changing every 2 rides (6-8 hours) would be ok, but changing every ride is best? I dont ride pro, all desert, all for fun, but I do try and push myself and my bike while riding.

I have noticed just cruising around my neighborhood that this bike seems kinda not as snappy as my CRF was, but is noticeably lighter and easier to maneuver in the corners. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2008 - 08:18 AM

The snap can be improved by changing the pipe.

20w-50 is OK if temps are going to be quite high most of the day, but isn't really necessary. I use it during the hottest 3-4 months of the year when temps are around 90 or more most of the time. But 10W-40 is adequate up to 114 degrees ambient temps, so don't worry too much about that.

If you truly do put that kind of time on the bike in a day in the desert, then two ride days is about how often I would change the oil. Changing it each ride while using Amsoil or M1 Racing 4T is something I would only do if I were going out on a multi-day trip next time out that would run me beyond my oil change interval if I left the current stuff in it. You just ordinarily don't need to.

• mazzuca21366

Posted September 10, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I use silkolene 4t. Very pleased with all their products.Posted Image

• Wiz636

Posted September 11, 2008 - 08:13 AM

I love the stock 742FA up front.

Definitely reroute your breather tube and/or filter the end of it. There is lots of debate on whether or not these things can suck dirt up the breather and all logic would indicate that it won't. But it did on my '06. Show me all the math that says not possible, show me all the physics that says not possible, and I will show you dirt in my head before I rerouted and filtered.

The '08 is the finished product that began in '06...it is sweet. I loved my '06 and love '08 even more...but it defintely needs a pipe! I have been running Leo Vince X3 but I just smashed the header beyond repair so I am ordering a SS/alum system from Dubach Racing today. Dr.D seems to be the way to go with YZF. Doug Dubach has been working with YZFs since inception and the YZ is his personal weapon of choice for racing (and winning!).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.