New to me Yz400... catching up on maintenance?

4 replies to this topic
  • motojoe_23

Posted September 06, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Ok, I picked up a "new to me" yz400.

ON the bright side, it has never been raced. It was basically what I call a "yard bike".

But on the down side, I am certain some maintenace was skipped. I know the oil was changed fairly regular, but that is about it.

So far I have put new tires on it (it still had the stock 739s on it :thumbsup:) cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, checked wheel bearings, lubed axles, and checked spokes.

Plan on checking valves soon, as well as lubing/checking steering bearings. Also plan to replace brake pads, and brake fluid.

Anything else you all can think of that is maybe known to be an issue that might need checking. Things like CCT maybe?

• shortburb

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:30 PM

service the suspension

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motojoe_23

Posted September 06, 2008 - 09:24 PM

Good idea.... Nothing leaking, but deff probably could use at the very least the forks hosed out. I can do that, but cant really do the shock, and not sure I want to spend the $$$ to have it done, as it will be just a woods bike (ex hairscrambler here, but havn't been in the woods since 2001)

• motojoe_23

Posted September 06, 2008 - 09:33 PM

On the lines of suspension though, since it has not been raced or jumped really, I wonder should I "worry" about shock linkages and swingarm bearings???

• DRZ04

Posted September 06, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Often neglected areas to grease are the swingarm & shock pivot linkage and the steering head bearings.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.