Red Loctite on my rotor bolts...HELP!

7 replies to this topic
  • DsrtRdr

Posted December 30, 2002 - 07:59 PM

I am trying to install the magnet bolt for my Trailtech computer, but my rotor bolts all have red Loctite on them. I tried an impact wrench with no do I get these bolts out???

• mmbasa

Posted December 30, 2002 - 08:16 PM

Try a little bit of heat, it should melt the loctite.

• John_H

Posted December 30, 2002 - 09:56 PM

Looks like the red needs over 300 degrees F to start melting. I used it on my flywheel weight and hope to never take it off.

good luck with your project.

• Cuda

Posted December 31, 2002 - 01:51 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • haresrambler

Posted December 31, 2002 - 05:08 AM

You can use heat and that will help. I was a technician(cars) for 15 years and I hated running in to that stuff. Used it myself of course, But anyway, take a hammer and punch carefully tap in the center from outside toward inside one or two pretty good taps. A dead blow hammer does best but any hammer will do. I didn't catch if it is threded to drum or if it has nuts on back side. If it has nuts: Take a frisbie this usually fits perfectly over most rotors and keeps the concrete or debris from gouging or scratching it(Good to use when changing tires too.) place the wheel with the frisbie and rotor down use a socket (an old one) be sure that it too small for nut and big enough so not to touch the stud. Tap using an extension on the nut. If you tap the stud from the nut side it may swell, so I wouldn't suggest that. Work the nut and bolt back and forth with proper wrenches until its free. I typically go back with blue on the rotor bolts. Be sure to clean very good. I use wd40 and brake cleaner. Hope this helps.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 31, 2002 - 01:10 PM

I agree, heat will work for sure. This is what we do at work all the time. If you don't have a heat-gun you can use your wifes/girlfriends blow dryer (don't tell her you heard it from me). Heat the crap out of it and it'll come out easily.

• RCannon

Posted December 31, 2002 - 02:30 PM

A handheld soldiering iron works pretty well. These rotor bolts are awful the first time.

I had an old Suzuki DR 350 that never had the rotor off. Ten years later I had to drill small holes down the center of the bolt to finally break them loose.

G.D. Suzuki wanted 5.25 each for the bolts!!!

• DsrtRdr

Posted December 31, 2002 - 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. Bought a propane hand torch at Home Depot and it worked like a champ!!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.