Over tighten main sump drain bolt!

4 replies to this topic
  • Follett

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:51 AM

Took it to dealer and they fitted heli coil and all was ok until I changed the oil again and now there is a very slow leak from the bolt. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Too scared to tighten any more! Thanks

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:20 AM

Use a new washer and tighten to spec. If strips you can always remove the helicoil and tap the nut out to the next larger size. I'm guessing that would be stronger than a helicoil. Maybe someone else has better advice?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flamed1

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:13 AM

Follett,
I too did the same thing including installing a helicoil. My slow drip went away when I went to a Ty Davis magnetic drain plug which also included a new washer. No more problems.
Good Luck,
Brian

• lewichris

Posted June 14, 2002 - 04:53 AM

if you take out the helicoil make sure to put in a timecert.

Chris

• SFO

Posted June 14, 2002 - 05:27 AM

Since Yamaha has created a porthole in the side of the threaded boss in an attempt to insure full oil drainage the sump thread is very easy to strip.
It is also very easy to heli-coil or timesert it crooked as well.
If the sealing face of the washer is not flat against the fastener surface it will drool.
Good luck with this one...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.