450 missfire?

3 replies to this topic
  • sideways sid

Posted September 04, 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi there, I'm the lucky owner of a brand new 250 with no problems what so ever, where as my cousin has a rather sick '03 450. I have been asked to have a look cause he can't tell one end of a screw driver from the other.
Now then the 450 has developed a splutter or a missfire on 1/4 ish throttle, if you hold it there it just coughs along, when you open up she clears straight away and wants to lift the frount wheel, I'm going to have a look at the jets but I'm not sure which one to pay attention too or is there anything else worth looking at, I've changed the plug and cleaned and re-oiled the air filter The bike is bog standard, he recons there's plenty for him with out messing.
Any other ideas will be greatfully accepted,

Cheers, Sid

• face_plant

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:16 AM

if you open the throttle all the way from an idle it will do that
also the tps does weird things

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhmotard

Posted September 05, 2008 - 05:06 PM

could be a few things but first...the needle could be too rich....lean it by raising the clip 1 or 2 spots(flatend on top)

• sideways sid

Posted September 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM

it happens if you hold it there, real pain when yuor in th twisty stuff. This problem has only syarted recently, why would the bike have started running richer? Is this normal asa bike gets older?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.