another metal pieces in oil thread

3 replies to this topic
  • sean3239

Posted September 04, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I looked through the other posts but am still not sure since none had pics of this/my issue (that I could find). I have changed the oil twice on a brand new 08 yz450 ridden three times now for about a total of 4 hours or so. I have a mag drain plug and its picked up metal shavings/bits each time. I know some metal is expected to shed from what I read. But it seems many are saying it will be the clutch plates but if they are aluminum then they should not stick to the mag (are 08 clutch plates aluminum or steel?) Do the pieces in the pic look normal for a new motor/tranny? Is this just normal wearing in of the transmission and should decrease with time or is this something else?
Thanks

Posted Image

• Windseeker

Posted September 04, 2008 - 11:51 PM

yeah sure. I found the same debri in my new 08 back in April and posted some scary photos here. Been told its ok for a new bike. Mine is 50 hours now and doing ok (knock knock).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sean3239

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:49 AM

ok, thanks, I missed your post. I also have an 06 but I didn't have a mag. plug in it when it was new so I don't remember this kind of material and its harder to see when its in the oil. So when I saw this I was a little concerned. I guess ignorance is bliss in some cases. :thumbsup:

• Whyzee429

Posted September 06, 2008 - 12:08 PM

i get a little bit of shavings each time i do an oil change and my 07 has 60 hours on it...is that normal?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.