how many guys going on TT ride will be wearing a camelbak?

15 replies to this topic
  • freestyle111

Posted June 13, 2002 - 06:45 PM

i was just wondering how many people from tt will be advertising for camelbak and showing their support of sierra club this week

• freestyle111

Posted June 14, 2002 - 07:48 AM

im glad to see nobody is replying to this. beware bill,will be counting camelbaks this weekend

• BFLee

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:43 PM

I will not be wearing a Camelback product while I am at the 1st 4 days of Mammoth next week. But I will try to keep my eyes open and try to come up with some rough percentage of Camelback vs Non-Camelback systems there.

• RIDEPATE

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:19 AM

well i wont be there but you can count on me not wearing a "camel-crack"......ever

• edareus

Posted June 14, 2002 - 11:25 AM

I won't this weekend but maybe next weekend I will. I will though take the labels off of both of them. I bought them a couple of years ago before I knew all of this crap. I hate the sierra club :) If I didn't have that much money in them I would throw them away or send them back. I won't be replacing them with camel bak systems when they go bad that's for sure.

• freestyle111

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:39 PM

what is really crazy is camelbak drink systems are double the cost of that any other company charges.instead of buying a camelbak buy Posted Image for $39.99 and give the other $40 you would have spent on the camelbak to the blue ribbon coalition.at least then you know who your funding.

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• CAB

Posted June 15, 2002 - 11:04 AM

So what are you going to do to those guys wearing Camelbacks, club them over the head??? Give it a rest. I've not seen any evidence that Camelback makes donations directly to the Sierra Club. Why wouldn't they advertise in Sierra magazine?? They're in business to make money. However, there are lots of organizations that give a percentage of their net profits to the green menace, including REI, Campmor, etc... What about Platypus, does anyone know they don't do the same thing?? If you're going to continue to crap on Camelback just because they have some bonehead executives and sell to eco-freaks, then you better be researching where every dollar you spend goes. Remember when Bridgestone tires bought thousands of acres of land in the midwest and then donated it to some land trust to sit unused by motor vehicles? Does that make sense?? If you're going to draw a line in the sand, then you should not buy from any company that directly supports causes contrary to yours. I own a Camelback, it works great for me and I have made my views directly known to Camelback. Deal with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted June 15, 2002 - 11:37 AM

Originally posted by CAB:
So what are you going to do to those guys wearing Camelbacks, club them over the head??? Give it a rest. I've not seen any evidence that Camelback makes donations directly to the Sierra Club. Why wouldn't they advertise in Sierra magazine?? They're in business to make money. However, there are lots of organizations that give a percentage of their net profits to the green menace, including REI, Campmor, etc... What about Platypus, does anyone know they don't do the same thing?? If you're going to continue to crap on Camelback just because they have some bonehead executives and sell to eco-freaks, then you better be researching where every dollar you spend goes. Remember when Bridgestone tires bought thousands of acres of land in the midwest and then donated it to some land trust to sit unused by motor vehicles? Does that make sense?? If you're going to draw a line in the sand, then you should not buy from any company that directly supports causes contrary to yours. I own a Camelback, it works great for me and I have made my views directly known to Camelback. Deal with it.

Advertising in the Sierra Club magazine may not be a direct donation, however, it does provide revenue that has the potential to be used against our sport. Without question, it helps the Sierra Club magazine stay in circulation all the more longer, so that it can spread its extreme environmental views and policies. If Camelbak (CB) is agnostic to either group, why not buy from a company that has chosen to be on our side of the fence? Strictly from a business standpoint, CB is doing what any for profit company should. Their product serves the needs of both sides and they are looking for the right venues to reach them. I'm sure the Sierra Club magazine helps them reach a portion of their target audience effectively. Personally, I try to understand with whom I'm doing business before I buy. If I have reason to believe that they are sympathetic the environmental right, I will look elsewhere. As CAB said, are we going to hit our fellow brothers over the head because they choose to use CB's products? All I can say is do your OWN research and make up your OWN minds.

Cheers!

Bryan

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: Bryan Bosch ]

• Dan_from_HB

Posted June 15, 2002 - 07:39 PM

Well said, Bryan. I couldn't agree more. For one, I will not buy another Camelback product unless and until I have decided that they support our sport far more than they support our enemies. I'll let my wallet do the talking. However, I have a Camelback that was purchased just before the last round of threads on this subject. I will use it until it wears out, then purchase another product from a company that directly supports our sport. If you have read my earlier posts on land issues, you know that I dislike the Sierra Club as much as anyone. I just don't think we need to beat each other up (like some of our members are doing now) over the use of a product that may have been purchased very innocently and without the knowledge we have now. Good thing we have TT so the word can get out.
Dan

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 17, 2002 - 06:57 AM

Freestyle,
You looking for a job? CamelBak has an ad in yesterday's Santa Rosa Press Democrat for a Customer Service Rep at their Petaluma facility :)

Brian

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 17, 2002 - 07:53 AM

I know that I'm not alone on this....The Camelback thing has been a little overdone lately. The point has been made. Since when did TT condone the continous slamming and bashing of ANY entity. There is a big difference between making a point and maintaining a multiple Post , multiple Forum Crusade. Like I've said before and echo Dan, I have several CB's and am not about to destroy them and throw them on the bon-Fire....When there worn out (Which may take some time....It is a Good Product) I'll replace them with something else.

However the first person who wishes to give me any crap about it when I pull up to ride somewhere, should be prepared to back it up.

Bonzai :)

• lewichris

Posted June 17, 2002 - 11:31 AM

True dat.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 17, 2002 - 11:50 AM

I was just having some fun at freestyle's expense.....

Hey 'kaze - is that a Camelbak you're wearing?

Brian :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:23 AM

YEP....and it's Yamaha Blue at that!

Bonzai :)

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted June 18, 2002 - 06:54 PM

Can one of you guys bring me up to speed.

I remember a few years ago this issue floating around and letters from Camelback reps were posted and I thought it ended up that they were ok after all. However, advertising in the Sierra Club is pretty bad. I have had my Camelback for a long time and I really like it but if a good alternative is available for $40, maybe its time to make a statement. Before that though, can someone give me some details to consider. Thank you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.