Too rich ?

3 replies to this topic
  • flyer05

Posted September 03, 2008 - 04:51 PM

I have a 2000 WR400, starts great, runs good close and 3/8th to 1/2 throttle after that it starts to belch and after fire (out of the pipe). It has all the mods done and I am running a WB R pipe with spark arrestor. I think I am running to rich and need to move the clip down on the needle ? I am I right ?

• Alternative

Posted September 03, 2008 - 05:44 PM

I had the exact same problem on my 426. Well actually I caused it, I thought I was running lean so put a richer needle in (JD blue, was running red). The bike started and ran fine right up to about 1/2 throttle when it started popping and surging. Put the red needle back in and all's fine again. So yes you're right, you're running rich, try dropping the needle a clip or maybe try a slightly leaner needle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyer05

Posted September 04, 2008 - 02:51 PM

Now I am confused. The needle was sitting at the 2nd position so I moved it to the 1st. and it still did the same thing. So I went the otherway dropped it to the 3rd and it ran a little better but not much. Went to the 4th and still the same problem. So looked at the BK mod and did that. getting better but I still think I am rich someway in the sequence. Man what an ordeal.

• Alternative

Posted September 04, 2008 - 05:24 PM

Try a completely different needle, possibly the one for a 2000 YZ400.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.