If you guys had my bike, would you keep it or sell it? *pics*

61 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted September 05, 2008 - 07:26 PM

you'd be better off if the bike had less and was as close to stock as possible.

• aggiemoto99

Posted September 06, 2008 - 07:32 AM

Keep it and wait for yamaha to make a major change...I think they may have a 4 valve motor in 010, based on their results with the R6 and now the R1 (a 250f is one cylinder off an R1 - well...close to it)

With the money that bike has in it, plus fresh parts, it will be good another year, although really start to watch the valves, I had an 05 that I bet to hell and back for a year and a half of extremely hard riding racing, tons of hours, and valves were good each time I checked, but out of no where they finally starting going out...so I replaced them... That bike had more hard hours than anyone can imagine, so it was not a big deal.

• Justin89

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:17 AM

I know everybody says this about every bike, every year but... I know someone that works for three major race teams (factory and privateer) and he said that the 2010 Yamaha's will have the same type of engine design as in the new street legal wr250...kinda weird, but like I said, all speculation for now.

• pyrofreak

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:35 AM

200 hours is crazy!! Put another hundred or so on it at least before you sell it! :thumbsup: And if you take all the pretty stuff off it before you sell, you'll make a bit of money on those seperately. That CR seems like it's going to be a hell of a bike when you get done with it. You'll hafta take pics when you do it up, I love wishing I had nice stuff like that and money to throw at it! Good job on the bikes! :worthy:

• Justin89

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:37 AM

200 hours is crazy!! Put another hundred or so on it at least before you sell it! :worthy: And if you take all the pretty stuff off it before you sell, you'll make a bit of money on those seperately. That CR seems like it's going to be a hell of a bike when you get done with it. You'll hafta take pics when you do it up, I love wishing I had nice stuff like that and money to throw at it! Good job on the bikes! :busted:

Thanks man! :thumbsup:

• Two-Six

Posted September 06, 2008 - 10:49 AM

If you decide to sell the CR125 take the front brake system off the honda and put it on your YZF. The honda brakes are way better than the YZ's.

• erickdj

Posted September 06, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I know everybody says this about every bike, every year but... I know someone that works for three major race teams (factory and privateer) and he said that the 2010 Yamaha's will have the same type of engine design as in the new street legal wr250...kinda weird, but like I said, all speculation for now.

I gotta call BS on that one, the current engines on YZ's and WR's seem to be much better performance-wise than the WRr & WRx engine. By the way, working for a "race team" doesn't mean jack, unless he works with the Yamaha R&D team, he doesn't know any more than you and I do.

• Justin89

Posted September 06, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Ya I know, like I said this is just what he said. I know exactly what you mean especially since we see this kind of stuff on thumpertalk all the time. I'm with you on this one...easy on the lashings jk lol...:thumbsup: :worthy:

• NorCal

Posted September 06, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Just curious as to why you are running black backgrounds?

• Justin89

Posted September 06, 2008 - 03:53 PM

I just thought that it would be too much white...I know 250f's are supposed to have black backgrounds but IDC lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMC707

Posted September 07, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I just thought that it would be too much white...I know 250f's are supposed to have black backgrounds but IDC lol

I'm running yellow on mine just because i miss the old open class --- :thumbsup: doesn't seem to matter unless you are competing in AMA events anyways -- run what ya like

• Lawn Dart

Posted September 07, 2008 - 02:29 PM

I would keep it as the 06 is one of the better bikes yamaha has ever produced. And all of the $$$ you have invested.

• Justin89

Posted September 07, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the advice and compliments guys:worthy: :worthy: :thumbsup:

• mazzuca21366

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Keep it. Wait for the fuel injection bike to come out. Yamaha is forced to proceed now that Honda and Suzuki have made the change.

• Jack22

Posted September 08, 2008 - 08:18 AM

It appears you have enough play money to afford both.

• Justin89

Posted September 08, 2008 - 09:25 AM

It appears you have enough play money to afford both.

Ha ha no way man...I would have to sell both bikes to be able to realisticaly afford the 09'.

• BASSic

Posted September 08, 2008 - 01:00 PM

Keep it. Wait for the fuel injection bike to come out. Yamaha is forced to proceed now that Honda and Suzuki have made the change.

So did Kawasaki... I've never been a fan of Kawasaki, but I'm very tempted now with their new bikes.

Wouldn't it be great if Yamaha pulls a lot of wins off this year with their carbureted bikes, while everyone else is running EFI?

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2008 - 01:13 PM

Yamaha is forced to proceed now that Honda and Suzuki have made the change.

Perhaps, or perhaps not. Just from a marketing standpoint, your logic seems sound enough, but there may be other things at work. Chevrolet introduced the Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI) system on it's truck engines in '96, when the Tuned Port Injection system it used on the passenger car line was, and would have been superior to it (even though it was a good system, and much better than throttle body). The reason for this was simply that Chevrolet had a contract with Rochester to purchase the systems through the 1999 model year, and even though both companies are GM properties, the contract stood, and the trucks were built with one rather than the other.

I have no idea if something like this is keeping the FCR-MX on the YZF's, only that evrything that goes on behind the scenes isn't always visible to people like us.

When EFI does hit the YZF line, I hope we will see a well thought out and executed setup that's flexible, adaptive, and easy to work with.

• adamdf

Posted September 08, 2008 - 05:34 PM

Personally i think Yamaha, much like Honda, did not feel forced to rush the gun with the EFI the same way slightly smaller companies like Suzuki and Kawasaki would have. Let's remember that Honda and Yamaha sales seem to surpass kaw and Suz. I believe that Kawasaki and Suzuki needed to launch their EFI systems sooner simply because they needed that competitive advantage in the market. Suzuki got the better end of the stick, being a year earlier, but they screwed up the distribution process while they had the chance. Kawasaki no doubt will not see much Honda or Yami converts for 09 simply because Honda will now have EFI as well, not sure if the guys in green thought big red was up to the task this year or not? Maybe they did though.

Another thing, Honda launched an all new chassis in 05 with their 450, and 09 (the 4 year mark) they have done it again. Yamaha launched an all new 250 AND 450 in 2006 (impressive, even though motors were only slightly revised), no doubt 2010 is the big year for Yamaha. It would not make much sense (cents either) business wise for Yamaha to only have a slightly updated bike in 2010. But rather than start a topic that could likely stay alive for a whole year on this forum until we do know what will happen, i say it's best we just shutup and wait :worthy: :thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted September 08, 2008 - 06:42 PM

Personally i think Yamaha, much like Honda, did not feel forced to rush the gun with the EFI the same way slightly smaller companies like Suzuki and Kawasaki would have. Let's remember that Honda and Yamaha sales seem to surpass kaw and Suz. I believe that Kawasaki and Suzuki needed to launch their EFI systems sooner simply because they needed that competitive advantage in the market. Suzuki got the better end of the stick, being a year earlier, but they screwed up the distribution process while they had the chance. Kawasaki no doubt will not see much Honda or Yami converts for 09 simply because Honda will now have EFI as well, not sure if the guys in green thought big red was up to the task this year or not? Maybe they did though.

Another thing, Honda launched an all new chassis in 05 with their 450, and 09 (the 4 year mark) they have done it again. Yamaha launched an all new 250 AND 450 in 2006 (impressive, even though motors were only slightly revised), no doubt 2010 is the big year for Yamaha. It would not make much sense (cents either) business wise for Yamaha to only have a slightly updated bike in 2010. But rather than start a topic that could likely stay alive for a whole year on this forum until we do know what will happen, i say it's best we just shutup and wait :worthy: :thumbsup:

All true...it's still a hard decision for me personally but I think I'll wait for the 2010 probably but its still up in the air:ride:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.