If you guys had my bike, would you keep it or sell it? *pics*

61 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hey, kryzaswhiteboy:lol: I think I'm gonna have to do that:lol:

• rdrata

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I was going to comment, I really like the Corona - Snapple combo in the background; what is the clear bottle with blue caps? ZIMA? And, is that Carbon Canyon (home)? Anyway, most people look to pick up bikes like yours for pennies on the dollar because they know how much it cost to get a new bike converted/comparable. Don't get caught up in the "trade your bike up race" - all the bike manufacturers are counting on that. Your bike is nice, just ride and be happy.

• Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, I was going to comment, I really like the Corona - Snapple combo in the background; what is the clear bottle with blue caps? ZIMA? And, is that Carbon Canyon (home)? Anyway, most people look to pick up bikes like yours for pennies on the dollar because they know how much it cost to get a new bike converted/comparable. Don't get caught up in the "trade your bike up race" - all the bike manufacturers are counting on that. Your bike is nice, just ride and be happy.

Ha ha the clear bottle with blue/purple caps in Smirnoff Ice Grape:busted: No, I'm actually up north a ways...about 45 north of Hangtown.:thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:19 AM

nice looking ride....wait for the 2010. What might help calm the new bike bug is give the current a "makeover" and freshen it up for '09...

• pyrofreak

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:26 AM

If you're just bored with the bike, change the looks a bit. It's already NICE and setup perfectly for you. Try a few new things to make it a little better. You have three and a half hours on the new motor! How long did you go on the stock motor? Run the bike until you wear down the fresh motor, then strip it out, and sell it. The 2010's should be out by then and you can make a good choice. For now, lots of ride time and beer time!

• Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 02:47 PM

If you're just bored with the bike, change the looks a bit. It's already NICE and setup perfectly for you. Try a few new things to make it a little better. You have three and a half hours on the new motor! How long did you go on the stock motor? Run the bike until you wear down the fresh motor, then strip it out, and sell it. The 2010's should be out by then and you can make a good choice. For now, lots of ride time and beer time!

Yeah, I'm a little bored with the bike but it's not all that bad. The graphics and plastic are new so IDk if i will be changing those. I might try buying some upgrades for it like a megabomb header, maybe throw a set of hot cams in there, etc. MAYBE. Right before I rebuilt everything, the bike had 200+ hrs on the original top end, valves, crank exc. The only things that really needed to be replaced was the piston and some crank bearings. Everything else was just pre-cautionary.

• Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Well guys, as of this moment, I'm probably going to keep the bike. It's been an awesome overall bike and I have 100% faith in its reliablity. I will wait to see what Yamaha does in 2010. For now, I guess I'll start turning my 2002 cr125 into my next project. We're talking FEAR THIS' style...jk:busted:

• mike_dean

Posted September 03, 2008 - 03:45 PM

I'd finish the beers and the Snapple and make a snap decision.

• husqy360

Posted September 03, 2008 - 04:03 PM

id keep it for sure.
here in canada stock 06 sale for about 5 g
i have over 100 hours on my 06 and it still feel fresh. start first good kick.

• WB450

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Keep it, you sound like your just tired of the way it looks, just want the newest junk, I would go with the proven and wait. JMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Dont sell it. Just give to me so I can take all the trick stuff off and put on mine. Then I'll give you whats left.
Seriously. Keep the bike.

• Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Dont sell it. Just give to me so I can take all the trick stuff off and put on mine. Then I'll give you whats left.
Seriously. Keep the bike.

Ha ha sorry man lol:ride:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys, this has been an issue for me for awhile now. I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 2006 yz450f or selll it and get a 2009. I am extremely pleased with the reliablity and overall package of my bike. Best bike that I've ridden out of all brans IMO. I'll give a short list of stuff I have or have done to it. Please let me know what you think...should I keep or sell? Is the 2009 worth selling this for exc. I"M NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS A CRAIGSLIST AD!!!:busted: :D Give me some input please...thanks!:blah: :thumbsup: :worthy:

Parts:
-Full ENZO Suspension w. shock preload ring
-22mm RG3 tripple clamps w/ stem
-FMF powerbomb header w/ Factory 4.1 exhaust
-Black excel wheels, blue RAD hubs, blue RAD nipple, RAD spokes
-Rotating clamps, reservoir caps, exc all RIDE Engineering blue
-Renthal chain and sprockets (new)
-Renthal twinwall bars (windam bend)
-Dunlop RR series tires
-etc, etc

Recently replaced: All itmes have 3.4hrs on them according to hour meter
-New Piston and rings
-New oil pump
-New steering stem bearings
-New internal gears and shift index lever
-New clutch
-Recent re-jet by Haeseker Racing Engines
-New cam chain
-New crank bearings
-Wheels re-trued
-Brake snake, safety wired carb/air boot, safety wire steering stem nut, exc

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You are definitely a guy who likes to work on bikes. Your work is excellent and it shows. You should keep this bike. The new ones won't look as good or be as tricked out as this. You will take a bath on the parts you've bought.

Buy a second bike, preferably a basket case, so that you can work on it. That will scratch your itch to have something to build. Sell it when you are done and buy another basket case to build up. You don't need to make money on them, you just need to have some fun working on a bike that is not your primary ride.

Then just ride the one you have and enjoy it.

• Justin89

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:04 PM

You are definitely a guy who likes to work on bikes. Your work is excellent and it shows. You should keep this bike. The new ones won't look as good or be as tricked out as this. You will take a bath on the parts you've bought.

Buy a second bike, preferably a basket case, so that you can work on it. That will scratch your itch to have something to build. Sell it when you are done and buy another basket case to build up. You don't need to make money on them, you just need to have some fun working on a bike that is not your primary ride.

Then just ride the one you have and enjoy it.

Thanks for the compliment :worthy: You said exactly what I've been thinking. I'm gonna do a major overall on my cr I think and just wait till 2010 for a new bike. Thanks for the info. By the way, this will be my next and newest project. Just pretend that the cr says YZ:busted:

PS. Weird that the Honda needs work:busted: ...jk:bonk: :busted:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Anybody know a company that makes blue plastics for a Honda?! :thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted September 04, 2008 - 10:03 AM

If I were to get the 2009, I was going to sell the bike above ^ as well as the 450. I'm still prolly going to sell the cr. Its power comes nothing close to my yz125...

• BASSic

Posted September 04, 2008 - 02:45 PM

That's one nice looking CR! If you're really itching to do some work, make it a CR144 and let us know how it works out.

I was looking for a YZ or CR, 125 or 250, whatever I could find at a good price, to work on. I've never been a big fan of Kawasaki, but I got a smokin' deal on a KX250 that I couldn't refuse.

• therealjuggernaut

Posted September 04, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Keep it, unless it's deficient in some way. ie; your riding has improved to the point the bike won't work for you anymore. New bike + all the mods is quite a nut to crack.
I might not be the best person to chime in, I am still riding my 99 yz400 but wouldn't trade it for the world. I finally have it just about tuned in perfectly.

• Justin89

Posted September 04, 2008 - 07:00 PM

That's one nice looking CR! If you're really itching to do some work, make it a CR144 and let us know how it works out.

I was looking for a YZ or CR, 125 or 250, whatever I could find at a good price, to work on. I've never been a big fan of Kawasaki, but I got a smokin' deal on a KX250 that I couldn't refuse.

Ha ha yeah I think they make a 153cc kit but I'm not sure the exact displacement. I use the cr to practice for the 450. I know it should eb the other way around but it make riding the 450 a whole lot easier when you can clear the tripple on the 125:ride:

• DMC707

Posted September 05, 2008 - 05:56 AM

You made the right choice on keeping the 450---- a brand new one will cost you 3k to bring it up to the level yours is now (maybe not quite that much, but you get the idea)

The CR is nice too --- its never gonna be as fast as you want though -- sill it if you have to, its too old to be competitive and too new to be vintage

Why don't you find a vintage Elsinore or Maico to restore or something? That would be a fun project and might give you another class to ride in

• cowboyona426

Posted September 05, 2008 - 06:28 AM

I wouldn't sell that 450, no way no how... that's a sweet ride. I wish mine was 1/2 that pimp!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.