If you guys had my bike, would you keep it or sell it? *pics*

61 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hey guys, this has been an issue for me for awhile now. I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 2006 yz450f or selll it and get a 2009. I am extremely pleased with the reliablity and overall package of my bike. Best bike that I've ridden out of all brans IMO. I'll give a short list of stuff I have or have done to it. Please let me know what you think...should I keep or sell? Is the 2009 worth selling this for exc. I"M NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS A CRAIGSLIST AD!!!:busted: :D Give me some input please...thanks!:blah: :thumbsup: :worthy:

Parts:
-Full ENZO Suspension w. shock preload ring
-22mm RG3 tripple clamps w/ stem
-FMF powerbomb header w/ Factory 4.1 exhaust
-Black excel wheels, blue RAD hubs, blue RAD nipple, RAD spokes
-Rotating clamps, reservoir caps, exc all RIDE Engineering blue
-Renthal chain and sprockets (new)
-Renthal twinwall bars (windam bend)
-Dunlop RR series tires
-etc, etc

Recently replaced: All itmes have 3.4hrs on them according to hour meter
-New Piston and rings
-New oil pump
-New steering stem bearings
-New internal gears and shift index lever
-New clutch
-Recent re-jet by Haeseker Racing Engines
-New cam chain
-New crank bearings
-Wheels re-trued
-Brake snake, safety wired carb/air boot, safety wire steering stem nut, exc

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• bhsballer76

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:34 PM

i say keep it. That bike is nasty. Besides the looks i am sure it is a great bike and you probably would not be noticably faster on 2009. Unless you have money burning a hole on your pocket i say keep the bike. If you want to sell it i would be interested..its very niiiiccceee..:thumbsup:

• zman-elite

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Nahh man i would get the 09
then sell me that bike for CHEAP since you dont want it :worthy:

Keep it man
the 09 wont make that much diff :thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:41 PM

i say keep it. That bike is nasty. Besides the looks i am sure it is a great bike and you probably would not be noticably faster on 2009. Unless you have money burning a hole on your pocket i say keep the bike. If you want to sell it i would be interested..its very niiiiccceee..:thumbsup:

Yeah I'm trying to figure the "being fast thing" too. The turning on the 09 is supposed to be much better but the clamps really helped with the turning with this bike...so did the rear sag and the 742FA front tire. (I know a lot of people on here absolutely hate that tire but the 756 just didn't work for me) Thanks for the compliments too. :worthy:

• Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Nahh man i would get the 09
then sell me that bike for CHEAP since you dont want it :blah:

Keep it man
the 09 wont make that much diff :thumbsup:

Ha ha thats what I keep hearing from people.:busted: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this bike. It has pretty much been my life since I bought brand new...:worthy: beside work and going to college of course:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:47 PM

A) the bike isn't worth much now ($3500 if you're lucky), even though it's worth much more than that to you, personally. OTOH, it won't be worth much less if you keep it another year and a half and pick up a 2010 at mid year prices. If the 2010 isn't impressive enough, you'll be able to get an '08-'09 cheap. YZF's are tough, and it will probably last that long.

:thumbsup: the bike is getting older. If you have to start spending money on big ticket maintenance items, you may wish you had traded it.

Two different slants on the thing.

• Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 08:59 PM

A) the bike isn't worth much now ($3500 if you're lucky), even though it's worth much more than that to you, personally. OTOH, it won't be worth much less if you keep it another year and a half and pick up a 2010 at mid year prices. If the 2010 isn't impressive enough, you'll be able to get an '08-'09 cheap. YZF's are tough, and it will probably last that long.

:worthy: the bike is getting older. If you have to start spending money on big ticket maintenance items, you may wish you had traded it.

Two different slants on the thing.

Yeah that's exactly what have been thinking. I know that I would'nt be able to get what I think its worth by no means...especially here in California. My bike value is decreasing daily here. I know in a couple months, there will be 09's on craigslist...there's tons of 08's already. I know you have 2, 2006 yz450fs, so what would YOU do? if I may ask..thanks!:thumbsup:

• Slinkyman16

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:07 PM

i say if u sell the bike.. i want ur clamps..

but that bike is tits.. and from what i herd the 09's are pretty much the same bike as the 08 - the new swingarm.. the turning on the 09 is soposed to be the same as the 08 as well.

its a hard thing.. uve invested a crap load in it.. and i know that here in cali our bikes are getting more and more depreciated as the day goes on..

tough choice but if it was me.. keep it and wait till the 2010s to come out... or wait till u find a good deal on the 09..

• grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I know you have 2, 2006 yz450fs, so what would YOU do? if I may ask..thanks!:thumbsup:

I'm keeping mine, and my son gets ownership of his once he finishes boot camp. He's not selling either. He loves that thing.

• Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:29 PM

i say if u sell the bike.. i want ur clamps..

but that bike is tits.. and from what i herd the 09's are pretty much the same bike as the 08 - the new swingarm.. the turning on the 09 is soposed to be the same as the 08 as well.

its a hard thing.. uve invested a crap load in it.. and i know that here in cali our bikes are getting more and more depreciated as the day goes on..

tough choice but if it was me.. keep it and wait till the 2010s to come out... or wait till u find a good deal on the 09..

Those clamps really helped. I've ridden a 2008 yz450f numerous times and it felt like it turned a little better than my 06'...a little. but the 09 is supposed to better...we'll se about that. I wasn't a fan of the muffler or power (basically where the power was at) so I know the 09' will prolly have the same need for a different exhaust:blah: . I am a fan of the 450 low-end grunt and it seems like the 06 was just monster in that department...IMO:ride:

An yes, I have a lot of money in this bike and here in Cali, that means squat:thumbsdn:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Those clamps really helped. I've ridden a 2008 yz450f numerous times and it felt like it turned a little better than my 06'...a little. but the 09 is supposed to better...we'll se about that. I wasn't a fan of the muffler or power (basically where the power was at) so I know the 09' will prolly have the same need for a different exhaust:blah: . I am a fan of the 450 low-end grunt and it seems like the 06 was just monster in that department...IMO:ride:

An yes, I have a lot of money in this bike and here in Cali, that means squat:thumbsdn:

good to know about the clamps.. i have been thinking about some kind of offset but the damn things are so expensive..

• henryboyle

Posted September 02, 2008 - 09:53 PM

that bike is sick! keep it. cosidering what an 09 would cost, maybe you could just upgrade the swingarm with an 09? just kind of make it an 09

• Justin89

Posted September 02, 2008 - 10:59 PM

good to know about the clamps.. i have been thinking about some kind of offset but the damn things are so expensive..

Yeah I've had the 22mm since 2006 before all the testing with the Zip Tye clamps and such. One of the magazines said the best offset was 24mm:confused: (I think). I like the 22mm the best. I dont feel like I really sacrifice a lot of straight away stability with them and they improve the habdling tremendously IMO. They are, however, way to expensive. Applied sells a good top/bottom clamp combo. I believe that its just the stock offset but you can get different colors...:thumbsup:

• thorracing271

Posted September 02, 2008 - 11:16 PM

If it were me.......Id sell the bike cuz its way too perfect and i know it would be trashed after riding it. Take all that money and by a stock used bike and then use the extra money as repairs for when something blows up!

• Slinkyman16

Posted September 03, 2008 - 12:01 AM

Yeah I've had the 22mm since 2006 before all the testing with the Zip Tye clamps and such. One of the magazines said the best offset was 24mm:confused: (I think). I like the 22mm the best. I dont feel like I really sacrifice a lot of straight away stability with them and they improve the habdling tremendously IMO. They are, however, way to expensive. Applied sells a good top/bottom clamp combo. I believe that its just the stock offset but you can get different colors...:thumbsup:

yeah.. but if im gunna spend some cash on clamps their gunna be some offset ones..
and yea the mags said the 24mm were the ones to get.. but i know alot of people like the 22mm clamps.

im just waiting for someone to get rid of their bike or is lookin to trade tripple clamps plus some cash on top of that.. so that i dont have to fork out the 500+ bucks for some 22mm clamps.

• dirtbiker771

Posted September 03, 2008 - 03:54 AM

I just bought an 08 from a guy that got a 09, he can't tell the difference between them. I don't think I would sell a sorted out 06 for an 09, not worth the 3k to 4k it would cost you.

Wait for the fuel injection bike to come out. The 09 isn't that much better than a well sorted 06.

• dirtbiker771

Posted September 03, 2008 - 03:57 AM

There are a set of Blue RG3 offset clamps on fleabay right now in the blue color. I have an 08 and passed on them since they are offset, but some of you guys might take a look.

Just search for RG3 clamps and you will find them. The guy didn't put YZ450F in his ad, so he's probably wondering why he doesn't have any bids.

• KAS

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:48 AM

I'd keep it and at least wait and see what the 2010 450's are like.

The 2009 doesn't have enough improvements to justify picking one up, as far as I'm concerned.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Here is what you do. You first pound down all of those Coronas that are sitting there. The you realize that your bike is already dope and that there is no way in hell that you are going to be able to tell the difference. Your current bike is probably better than an 09 anyway with all that you have done to it.

• 33 BLUE

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:38 AM

That's really funny. I asked this question before. I almost got the same answers. I also have an 06 with almost the same things.( except I have a Dr. D exhaust). I also did what Krzyaszwhiteboy said. I drank a ton and realized how fun my bike was. It is also in perfect condition. I agree with these guys. Keep your bike and wait until 2010. Greyracer is right about the price. I was trying to sell my bike for a long time.I felt my bike was worth more than 3500, but their are so damn bikes for sale, it makes it hard to sell anything.Plus I didn't feel it was smart to put in an extra 3500 for a stock bike that doesn't have that many changes to it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.