NOOB--How do you remove the Upper Chain Roller from an '06 DR650SE??

30 replies to this topic
  • txsizzler

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

I have been reading alot of the posts about the upper chain roller issues. However, being that I am a complete noob still, I would like detailed advice on how to remove this upper chain roller, and to be shown exactly where it is at. Pics would be great! Thanks!

Ian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boatxr

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

good lord man that question is beyond noob.

the name alone is decriptive enough.
see your chain? now go upper to that and what looks to roll? hint it's round. now remove it. if you have to ask at this point how to remove it then your are banned for life from ever touching your bike. put some silicone or a plug (think hardware store) in the resulting hole.

• txsizzler

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

good lord man that question is beyond noob.

the name alone is decriptive enough.
see your chain? now go upper to that and what looks to roll? hint it's round. now remove it. if you have to ask at this point how to remove it then your are banned for life from ever touching your bike. put some silicone or a plug (think hardware store) in the resulting hole.

Appreciate the snide tip. I will remember to ask you personally next time. :thumbsup:

• boatxr

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Appreciate the snide tip. I will remember to ask you personally next time. :thumbsup:

you set yourself up on this one buddy.
& sure ask me, i'll help.

• txsizzler

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:03 AM

you set yourself up on this one buddy.
& sure ask me, i'll help.

Well some of us are first-time wrenchers (besides changing the oil--which can be done simply following the owner's manual). Thats why I come here to ask the questions... not to be chastised. :thumbsup:

• plugeye

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

adjust your chain to snug.
head for the biggest jump you can find.
this will locate the upper for you automatically.
not the preferred method, but crudely effective.

• spochynok

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:10 AM

tuff'n-up TEX, it ain't nothing personal! everyone's been a noob at some point. besides, it's fun to "mess with texas". ;-)

happy trails partner!

• adams

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

before removing the upper chain roller you have to drain the blinker fluid first...you wouldnt want to seize the relay..I cant believe you assh*les didnt help this guy out!

• txsizzler

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:23 AM

The main reason I asked, was because I was browsing through the Upper Chain Roller posts last night. I didn't see any pictures on it or anything, it was late, and I didn't think it would be that easy to find.

Anyhow, on a side note, I think I will make some FAQ's with detailed pictures on different things that need to be done with the DR650 (until I figure out how to do most of those things), including draining the blinker fluid :thumbsup:

• txsizzler

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:14 AM

Success! The whole procedure took about 3 minutes to accomplish. I used a 12mm socket, and it came right off. It is strange that Suzuki would place this roller up so high. I mean, it is nowhere near the chain to begin with, and I can see how the chain slapping it would cause it to shoot off.

Before the operation!
Posted Image

Chain Roller Removed!
Posted Image

Drive Chain minus Upper Chain Roller! (will use silicone or 8mm x 1.25" screw to cover hole)
Posted Image

• snb92

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

The actual problem is that it's not high enough. When the suspension compresses the chain contacts the roller (hence those two huge grooves in your roller :thumbsup: ), puts it under tremedous pressure and promptly rips it out of the frame. Engineer-san must have had his slide rule on the wrong setting the day they designed that.

• adams

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

those are some very big grooves in the roller, when I removed the rollers on my bike they were untouched

• txsizzler

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

those are some very big grooves in the roller, when I removed the rollers on my bike they were untouched

I guess it was good I removed it when I did! I also just installed a Rear Rack with a trunk.

Before pic
Posted Image

After pic
Posted Image

Another pic w/trunk
Posted Image

• ForrestF

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Wow! I've never seen that rack mounted backwards before. Is it only held onto the mounts with two screws?

• Josh_TN

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

One word of note, WHen you put a screw in the roller hole, make sure you use a set screw. (a screw without a head). casue if there is anything there to catch the chain it will! And locktite it in there so that it doesn't work its way out.

• txsizzler

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Wow! I've never seen that rack mounted backwards before. Is it only held onto the mounts with two screws?

Believe it or not, I tried it both ways. This way, my back can rest on that backrest that is on the trunk (the other way, the trunk was too far back). I only do solo riding, so this isn't bad at all. It is actually quite comfortable having that pad to lean back on (although the riding position is quite forward!).

The rack is held up with 3 screws actually (the center screw and the left/right sides). It is quite sturdy. I kept the other two screws in case I decide to revert back.

Ian

• Ga-thump

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

With the rack reversed, how do you remove the seat?

• FCR112

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

hey tex,
welcome, the people on here are actually extremely helpful as i am sure you know from reading the other posts... that being said some of the best have forgot how some kanuuubeees are scared to jack up their new bike by doing something more stoopid than a clue-less post on a forum like this.

So ask away and take the heat. You'll get bitched at, but you will get help!
I know....\:thumbsup:

Hope your bike works out well for you and be safe,

• boatxr

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:36 AM

dude you are mod master max.
gotta give ya credit for thinking outside the box.
guess we can assume no pasengers in your world or maybe you like waifs.
throw some happy trails touring pegs on there, mount a beer coozie and you've got a barko lounger.

• txsizzler

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

dude you are mod master max.
gotta give ya credit for thinking outside the box.
guess we can assume no pasengers in your world or maybe you like waifs.
throw some happy trails touring pegs on there, mount a beer coozie and you've got a barko lounger.

Damn.. you read my thoughts exactly! Now I just need to figure a way to mount the remote control and TV... hmmm... I wonder if the trunk would hold a satellite dish on it, so I can pick up ESPN???? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.