Boiled over!!!!!

27 replies to this topic
  • Himsa123

Posted September 02, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hey all,
I have a 2007 WR 450 thats pretty much stock except i disconnected the grey wire and shortened the throttle screw. I have only been riding for almost a year now so im still learning a lot about maintainence and appreciate all the help here.

This past weekend i went riding in the mountains at about 5000 ft. All day the bike ran really good until I went on a particular trail that was technical and slow due to the trees and really deep rutts. The last half of the trail I was pretty much walking the bike while it was still running and thats when I could here it boiling. It then leaked a lot of fluid and I am just curious about was exactly i need to do now. Im guessing the fluid was from the radiator and do I need to flush it now? Should I replace it with "engine ice?" Also should i rejet because I will prob only hit that elevation a couple times a year.:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

Bob

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 02, 2008 - 03:15 PM

My WR boils over regularly as I tend to ride tight and technical, pack & carry stuff like you described... it boiled over into your overflow bottle until that got full and then started coming out the overflow tube that runs out at the bottom of the bike.

I use engine ice and while it's a better coolant than stock, it will still boil over.

With the bike cold, fill the radiator and then replenish the coolant overflow to the line.

If you want to switch to engine ice, just drain everything and re-fill with engine ice:thumbsup:

• Himsa123

Posted September 02, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Ok so if I want to replace with engine ice I need to drain whats in the radiator, is there some sort of drain plug under the rad? And after I fill the radiator back up with the new engine ice, bike cold of course, i need to fill the coolant overflow to the line which is located on the rear fender right? and what should i fill the coolant overflow with as far as brands go? Thanks a bunch this helps a lot!

Bob

• WR_Dave

Posted September 02, 2008 - 04:50 PM

If your using engine ice then put that in the overflow bottle as well. The new generation of the Alum. framed WR's have a smaller overflow than the earlier ones and it doesn't take much to blow coolant out onto the ground. The overflow should still allow the rads to refill themselves after it cools down and draws the coolant from the overflow bottle back in. On the older WR's I never had to refill the overflow after heating the bike, but on this one you need to keep an eye on the level in there. WR Dave.

• Himsa123

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Ok perfect thanks for all the help ill definitely get on that this weekend. Draining the radiator, is that a pretty simple procedure?

Bob

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 02, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Ok perfect thanks for all the help ill definitely get on that this weekend. Draining the radiator, is that a pretty simple procedure?

Bob

There may be a cleaner or neater method but I just place a large drain pan under the front of the bike and pull the lower hoses, open the cap to vent... yeah it's messy:bonk:

• KennyMc

Posted September 02, 2008 - 07:30 PM

An old-wise man once suggested (well, Agent Smith :thumbsup: )

1) drain original coolant
2) flush with distilled water
3) flush with 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar
4) flush with distilled water
5) fill with engine-ice
6) :worthy:

• atitagain

Posted September 03, 2008 - 05:41 AM

+1 kenshaw
If you are putting in engine-ice, all of the old glycol must be completely rinsed out.

• Himsa123

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:11 AM

Thanks fellas, should go smoothly this weekend with all your help. Well Seeeee

Bob

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:29 AM

You don't need to pull all the hoses, just the drain screw on the water pump.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Himsa123

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:23 AM

The drain screw on the water pump ok. Hopefully there is a pic of it in the manuel or something.:thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:34 AM

You can't miss it.

Look for the copper washer.

I have excused your ignorance because of your age THIS TIME ONLY.

Don't forget to blow out the line to the puke bottle.

You can give the old anti-freeze to the neighborhood cats.

• Himsa123

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:56 AM

You can't miss it.

Look for the copper washer.

I have excused your ignorance because of your age THIS TIME ONLY.

Don't forget to blow out the line to the puke bottle.

You can give the old anti-freeze to the neighborhood cats.

Ignorant...?

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Very.

You can't find the drain plug on a bike you've owned for a year.

But you had enough time to put graphics on that would embarass a mexican pimp.

• Demo_Slug

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:37 AM

Very.

tell us how you really feel?

• beezer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 12:01 PM

Just messing with the kid.

At least he's trying to fix the thing himself.

Most kids would just scream "Daddy buy me a new one, this one's broken".

• wartsnuff

Posted September 03, 2008 - 12:32 PM

dam that was some funny reads... i don't think you were really insulting anyone.

just having a little fun!

cheers
Wart

• face_plant

Posted September 03, 2008 - 01:01 PM

SON i am too drunk to fix your bike, do it yourself
yes its the one with the copper washer, the lower bolt

i had my wr 450 since 06 and i have done all the work on it, still i find stuff that i should have known already

• Himsa123

Posted September 04, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Very.

Exactly "most kids would scream to daddy for a new one" but im fortunate enough to have a career where i can afford my toys. Sorry im not as skilled as you geezer i can tell from your last post in June that you dont really like anyone younger than you..its gonna be ok buddy i was just asking for a little advice on the forum relax.

• c9buff

Posted September 04, 2008 - 05:42 AM

engine ice will not solve the problem. The JD jetting kit worked for me. You have a jetting problem. Once you get it dialed in you can change jets, needles in minutes without removing the carb from the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.