Bit the bullet....

14 replies to this topic
  • dr dave 29

Posted September 02, 2008 - 01:17 PM

And traded in my DR-Z for a 2005 WR 450. But....

I'm a total plank. Bought it unseen, don't know what hours it's got on it, don't know what maintenance has been done - nothing! All I know is: it's 2005, it's blue and it cost £3299 (about $6500)....

Mind you, bought it from a dealer I trust (bought dozens of bikes from them over the years), so it should be good:bonk: .

So what do I get for the change? Are there any issues I should look at straight away, preferably before the delivery van drives away? Any known things I should check other than those I've read in the stickies?

Oh, and if it all goes horribly wrong, I'm blaming you lot, as you keep on about how wonderful they are....:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 02, 2008 - 01:21 PM

[quote name='dr dave 29']And traded in my DR-Z for a 2005 WR 450. [/quote]
Congrats!

[quote name=']Mind you' date=' bought it from a dealer I trust (bought dozens of bikes from them over the years), so it should be good:bonk: [/quote']
Trust and dealer should rarely be in the same sentence. :blah:

[quote name=']Oh' date=' and if it all goes horribly wrong, I'm blaming you lot, as you keep on about how wonderful they are....:busted:[/QUOTE']

Hey man thats all on you :worthy: Its a yamaha, there shouldn't be much if anything to worry about:thumbsup:

POST PICS :thumbsup:

• dr dave 29

Posted September 02, 2008 - 01:50 PM

Pics will be posted as soon as I see it!

Gt's are pretty honest, had loads of bikes off them and they only retail good stuff. But, there's no warrantee on off road bikes:cry: so I could be in :thumbsup: . Ho hum.

Do they vibrate? Rode a Husky and it felt like a jack hammer! Whereas the old DR-Z is as smooth as a babies behind....

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing.....

• ebutner

Posted September 02, 2008 - 04:40 PM

My 2005 WR 450 is the best bike I've ever owned.:thumbsup: You'll LOVE it. Good on ya mate! Enjoy it and look into the "mods' that can be done to it. Not sure about "gray wire" on bikes from over the pond, but you got one hellofa bike.

Eric

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 02, 2008 - 05:37 PM

Do they vibrate? Rode a Husky and it felt like a jack hammer! Whereas the old DR-Z is as smooth as a babies behind....

No it won't be nearly as harsh as Husky. You have nothing to worry about.

• dazzabb

Posted September 02, 2008 - 11:27 PM

No real issues with the 05, but for peace of mind I would always change the oil and filter and check the oil level as per manual. Check the air filter is cleaned and well oiled.

Don't be surprised if you find that the chain rubs against the rear subframe a couple of inches above the swingarm, they are notorious for this. Heaps of posts on here about it and what to do if it does.

• Alternative

Posted September 03, 2008 - 03:05 AM

I also bought my WR sight unseen, and am very happy with it. The only real problem it had was the left radiator a bit twisted a bent. This hadn't been mentioned by the seller so I was a bit annoyed about it but it wasn't leaking so I just left it. Other than that, the bike has been running flawlessly for over a year with just oil changes and valve checks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dr dave 29

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:54 AM

I spent the day putting the DR-Z back to standard, and pinching the good trials tyre off the back and putting it on my wifes bike. So who says it's the dealers you've got to watch?
I was looking forward to it arriving today, but it's not turned up, so maybe tomorrow....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:32 AM

Get your suspension done and be prepared to drop the forks a bit in the clamps if you want quicker steering.

GET IN SHAPE! (its heavy)

Then... ride the snot out of it!

I've got an 05 and cannot image ever getting rid of it. I've ridden it in races, trail rides and dual sport rides. Its versatile.

btw... that trial tire works perfectly on the wr. I've run the dunlop 803 with excellent results.

• 2006wr450f

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:40 AM

$6500.00 for 2005 seems to me to be a bit expensive.

• wartsnuff

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:58 AM

congrats,

i bought a new WR this year... and i love the bike..

the power is insane fun!

good luck
cheers
Warts

• 06crf_er

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Agreed...maybe things are different across the pond:excuseme:

• durzer

Posted September 03, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Seems a tad pricey for UK.Just got my o7 for £3700 with the trick bits from a dealer but not many good buys about.
If you've owned a DRZ and been happy with it you'll love the WRF.

Drop that oil straight away for piece of mind.

• dr dave 29

Posted September 03, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Possibly was/is a tad pricey, but....

There are very few s/h dirt bikes about down here, and they seem to lose value verrryyyy slowly. Plus, I got a good price for my DR-Z so it evens out.

Everything is pricey in the UK now. We seem to pay in pounds what you guys pay in dollars, it sucks but.....

A new one over here is £5449 plus delivery, pdi, tax etc so getting on for £6000 (which is about $12000!!!!) so whichever way you go, you're spending a large wedge. I don't have/don't want to spend that much on a "toy" so, so long as the bike turns out to be a good'un, I'm happy.

Just as an aside, where did you get your 2007 from?

• mikeythefokker

Posted September 03, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Congratulations. Welcome to wr land. The wr will vibrate a bit more than your drz, but it will be faster and more responsive. Those drz's do seem to have the smooth thing down. Take your bike out a few times and get it dirty and then start doing the same mods that we all do, like disconnecting the grey wire, and uncorking the pipe, or getting aftermarket exhaust. The kind of riding that you do will dictate what kind of changes you start to make. The bike comes with a pretty neutral offroad setup, that is pretty good for most types of riding, but lots of people mess with sprocket sizes to better suit their needs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.